Is it any wonder that we get angry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

It's an old chestnut and it has happened to most, if not all of us, but the blatant disregard for cyclists by some motorists is staggering. I got back on my bike for the first time in nine weeks yesterday following a rib injury. It was great - through the mud, up through the forest, around the lakes and back down a steep street to rejoin the forest. It's a nice seven mile ride which I would do daily after work. As I rode down the hill a car emerged from a street on the left about 15 yards ahead of me, the driver looked to his right, and yep, pulled out in front of me, causing me to swerve out and almost into the face of oncoming traffic. Despite almost hospitalising me it seems he was determined to try it again by speeding up and refusing me to pull in front of him. I was calm but inside I was incandescent with rage at the sheer lunacy of it all. My first ride in nine weeks and almost run off the road by an idiot.
Grrrrrrrrrr! There, that's off my chest.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are some folk that don't give a poop. I don't ride roads where I live now (following a broken spine) as the traffic and general driving is crap - I do ride off road though, with small bits of road. I've recently started riding on the road again in the back roads of North Wales (we have a caravan there but can't go now) - much more pleasant !

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

There are some folk that don't give a poop. I don't ride roads where I live now (following a broken spine) as the traffic and general driving is crap - I do ride off road though, with small bits of road. I've recently started riding on the road again in the back roads of North Wales (we have a caravan there but can't go now) - much more pleasant !
Oh dear. Was the broken spine the result of a collision?

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Unfortunately. Finished me off for cycle commuting. Was rather close to having to use a wheel chair.
My goodness, I'm glad you're ok and can continue to ride. I had an accident with a HGV and a car which only resulted in bruises and a broken wrist but that shook me up and put me off riding for a while. Cycling on roads is a dangerous game.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why bother getting angry ? At best it achieves nothing, at worst you could have a coronary.

There are some right nodders out there and getting angry changes nothing. If I got angry every time I met a twot id have been imprisoned, had a heart attack, or exploded decades ago.

In the OPs situation id have pulled over, taken a few deep breaths and a swig of single malt from my hip flask, waited until the brain donor wasmgone, and carry on my ride to the clinic to give blood.

@Drago is bang on the money. But a lot of Single Malts are overpriced.... try a nice American Rye - warm, a little spicy and kinder to your wallet!^_^

I'm sorry this happened to you and your reaction is perfectly natural. I hope that it won't put you off going out again.

For what its worth, I've found that my mindset has changed a lot since I restarted cycling a few years ago.

I cycle for my pleasure and ignore the dumbasses on the road. If I look for them, they're everywhere and often, they're all I see. I'll be damned if I'll let them take my fun away from me!

I treat everyone else on the road like they're a feckin' eejit and that way I'm pleasantly surprised ^_^

I'll often slow down or stop and let the dumbasses off down the road because it won't be enjoyable, no matter what rights I have.

It took a while, but the cycling is a lot more pleasurable.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
What scares me more is the thought that in the car is an equally angry person. If everyone watched this fellow maybe they'd be calmer and more observant behind the wheel.

weareHKR

Happened to me a few weeks back. Early morning leisurely ride round the my local area before work. Riding in the cycle lane when a middle aged lady driver decides to pull into the cycle lane in preparation for a left turn, yup you guessed it, pushed me against the curb, luckily I managed to stay afloat.
I caught up with her & tapped on the window & said "excuse me you almost took me out back there"
Her reply... "ho f**k off"... :ohmy:
She was a nurse in uniform as well, obviously going to the nearby hospital, guess she doesn't like early starts... ^_^

Kryton521

Über Member
Actually getting angry is a perfectly normal reaction, and good for you. If you keep it in you'll harm yourself.
Certainly pull over, vent your anger, personally I like to shout a lot of swear words at the errant vehicle.
Couple of deep breaths and carry on.

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is, bery few people seem able to keep it in and thats how road rage happens. Being assaulted or even killed (in my career Ive been to plenty of the former and one of the latter) over something like this is a lot worse than a sleepless night or two.

Too many maladjusted people out there with poor psychological control who do nothing to improve that facet of their character, and everyrhing to feed the beast. Let it go, concentrate on the positives. Peace and love.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Problem is, bery few people seem able to keep it in and thats how road rage happens. Being assaulted or even killed (in my career Ive been to plenty of the former and one of the latter) over something like this is a lot worse than a sleepless night or two.

Too many maladjusted people out there with poor psychological control who do nothing to improve that facet of their character, and everyrhing to feed the beast. Let it go, concentrate on the positives. Peace and love.
Careful there, you're drifting into 'Guru' territory.

View: https://youtu.be/-a7Yu5k-Cog

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For me, life is too short to get angry. Like Drgao says, pull over, calm down and when the Muppet is gone, continue on your way.

I do the same when I'm driving, but instead of pulling over, I tend to just laugh at how stupid some people can be.

I always ride and drive assuming that every one else in the roads are dummies, and try to act accordingly. Doesn't always work but you can either do that or stop riding your bike or driving and of course you can get a camera mounted on your bike.

Yes there is danger, but you ride or you don't.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Having the camera & the high probability of being able to report an incident helps me not to get angry at the time. Plus my conduct is also going to be in evidence. Police in Avon & Somerset will warn or prosecute so I find it generally worthwhile reporting.

I had a recent case where I had to rap knuckles on the side of a Fiesta which was closing in on me from the side. The driver pulled over & threatened to punch me 'cos I'd touched his pride & joy. I started out friendly & peaceful but backed off when he got worse. I didn't react angrily to his aggressive attitude.

It made for interesting footage and I was actually lucky he wasn't Kenneth Noye. But if I hadn't touched his stupid car, I felt he would have swiped me off the bike. I'm awaiting updates on that case.

Top Bottom