Is it better.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

Is it better to do 10 to 15 miles each day, or 20 to 30 miles every other day?

One thing I have just found out is that I don't have to be trying 110% ALL THE TIME. I think this is a lot of the reason why I end up pushing the bike up longer hills...just all or nothing, rather than gently does it. The last 2 rides I have taken it a LITTLE easier, and found my average speed has increased by 2mph as a result:thumbsup:, ie. cycling up hills VERY slowly is still faster than walking.

walker

Is this a general question or do you have a specific goal?

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Goal is to be fit enough to use the bike for all transport needs, up to 60 plus miles, and without having to kill myself to do it. Currently though, just need to get fit and increase average mph to as high as possible, plus get to cycle up ALL local mountains.

Primary short term aim is to be fit enough to do a 50 mile bike ride with local CTC without holding the others up each time I see a slight incline.

Note: I ride a recumbent.

walker

David, Now I don't know how to believe you as you said mountain and Essex in the same post and we all now Essex is flatter than american roadkill.

Someone might tell you different but I would start with the 10-15 miles a day and slowly build that up to your required distance.

I've never ridden a bent so can't really go much further than this so I hope this helps

Bigtallfatbloke

I would ride a shorter distance each day rather than a long distance then a gap...but that is just me. Once my body is used to riding EVERY day I would gradually increase the daily distances without knackering myself. My view is that cycling should be fun, and there is no fun in exhausting yourself and crashing out on a sofa.
Having said that i found that when i was carrying a lot of lard (well more than I am now anyway!) my body was pretty good at telling me when to ride and when to rest.
I would choose 5 seperate shorter loops and 1 longer loop. Do the 5 loops each weekday, then do the longer run on Saturday...then the lord spake and commanded all cyclists to rest on Sunday.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

walker said:
David, Now I don't know how to believe you as you said mountain and Essex in the same post and we all now Essex is flatter than american roadkill.

Someone might tell you different but I would start with the 10-15 miles a day and slowly build that up to your required distance.

I've never ridden a bent so can't really go much further than this so I hope this helps

Believe me, there ARE mountains around here. I have only ridden 174 miles in total, been out in every direction from home, and there are mountains everywhere. Someone who has ridden for years may not see the mountains, but someone who has only just started does.

BTW- I know of at least 2 local roads where how steep they are is sign posted.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I would ride a shorter distance each day rather than a long distance then a gap...but that is just me. Once my body is used to riding EVERY day I would gradually increase the daily distances without knackering myself. My view is that cycling should be fun, and there is no fun in exhausting yourself and crashing out on a sofa.
Having said that i found that when i was carrying a lot of lard (well more than I am now anyway!) my body was pretty good at telling me when to ride and when to rest.
I would choose 5 seperate shorter loops and 1 longer loop. Do the 5 loops each weekday, then do the longer run on Saturday...then the lord spake and commanded all cyclists to rest on Sunday.

OK, will find a few shorter routes and start daily rides; with the odd exception that is.

A heavy me, a heavy bag on the rack, and not the lightest bike in the world all add up to perhaps harder work than it need be. However, the extra lard is starting to move.

BTW- A little less wind would be nice.

cyclebum

davidwalton said:
BTW- A little less wind would be nice.

Will certainly agree with this one having been out today, having done just over 29 miles on a circular route yet was either into or side onto the wind for most of the time. The muscles at the top of my legs were agony when I got back!

As for taking it steady, when I tried to increase my distance but was struggling, the advice given on here was to ease back and take it steady and it really does work, even in the wind my 29 miles today had a slightly faster average speed than a 13 mile ride I did last week with far less wind and I was trying harder.

Talking of wind and road bikes (if you excuse the expression :angry:) I am serioulsy considering a road bike, but I was blown around so much at times today I began to wonder if I could have stayed on a much lighter road bike! Is this the case??? :biggrin:

CYCLEBUM

I would suggest, as nicely as possible, that the weight difference between 2 bikes is relatively immaterial when your weight is taken in to account.

MTB/Road ... say 10lbs absolute max difference. If you wore a wet t-shirt you would just about make up the difference.

Would I rather see you riding an MTB or riding in a wet t-shirt on a windy day? I plead the 5th!!

davidwalton said:
Believe me, there ARE mountains around here.

:angry::biggrin:

Slow and steady. As you have already said it's better to ride those hills than walk them. It's the short sharp and up and downy terrain that takes it out of me more than climbing a big long hill (there's a few of them by me). Why? Because it breaks your rhythm. That's why it's much better to keep going and concentrate on keeping your cadence steadier by using those gears more.

As for ave spd. Well it will come up as you ride more. A year on after buying a roadbike I am seeing my average start to creep up.

Mix your riding up to. Go for it one short ride, go steady on a longer ride and do the odd twiddling recovery ride. You'll benefit more from this than just caning it every time.

That's my tuppence worth anyway :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

After all that, I choose not to go out today ;)

Forecast is for Sleet, winds around 20mph, and gusts over 30mph.

Don't fancy the sleet or the gusts. Gusts really do knock me around on the recumbent.

Tomorrows mid-day forecast looks much much better. Sunny, wind around 10mph, and gusts only to around 20mph.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Go and do a quick 10 miles - be back in no time.

My commute is only 16 miles round trip, but I do it daily in all weathers - hence little and often. I do push it, which has meant I lost 2 stone and got back to a really good level of fitness - so it does pay off. Most important is that you do make it up the hills, rather than walk, as this will 'push' you harder. So with a little practice, and pacing you'll be fine.

OP
OP
D

davidwalton

fossyant said:
Go and do a quick 10 miles - be back in no time.

My commute is only 16 miles round trip, but I do it daily in all weathers - hence little and often. I do push it, which has meant I lost 2 stone and got back to a really good level of fitness - so it does pay off. Most important is that you do make it up the hills, rather than walk, as this will 'push' you harder. So with a little practice, and pacing you'll be fine.

Sorry, but I am not that good with handling yet. I require more space than I am given on the road to feel safe enough in gusts.

Top Bottom