is it illegal to ride a bike whilst intoxicated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Even without a bike you can be done for being intoxicated, just lying in the road is usually enough.:sad:

Nah, you usually need to have unable to speak your name. Likewise for cycling whilst intoxicated, you would have to be a complete arse.

Noodley

There is no "limit" as per drink driving limit.

Berties

Fast and careful!
consuming alcohol and being able to control your bike is a contradiction,control is not just riding but reaction obviously impaired by alcohol in your blood,if you cause a accident ,I would not like to be your defence if you were proven to have consumed alcohol,next question as a cause of a accident would you or could you be breath tested or blood tested?

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

just so everyone is aware, I have no intention whatsoever in drinking and riding, i was just having a conversation with someone about something i read in a cycle magazine

classic33

Leg End Member
consuming alcohol and being able to control your bike is a contradiction,control is not just riding but reaction obviously impaired by alcohol in your blood,if you cause a accident ,I would not like to be your defence if you were proven to have consumed alcohol,next question as a cause of a accident would you or could you be breath tested or blood tested?

No legal requirement to give either, as a cyclist, unless the law has changed within the last 5 years. Breathalysed twice following being "involved in accidents". Both cases where the first word spoken! by the driver were along the lines of "I didn't she him, but I moved out to avoid hitting him".
The last time it was done, I feel it was more to shut the driver(drunk) up. Other driver having been knocked sensless in the head-on.

You'd also have to take into consideration how it would look if you refused & you knew you were unfit to ride through drink &/or drugs.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

I have done it before, usually without any ill effects. That said, I did once have a drunken clippless moment late at night in a car park in Partick and a guy walking past simply said

'Oh my god!'

at me. Yes, quite :laugh:

I was a lot more careful after that!

Berties

Fast and careful!
nope, the alcohol test applies to mechanically propelled vehicles
With all the drink drive laws for drivers I think the law has to be looked at ,a intoxicated rider can cause a accident,that could very well cause trauma or death,as easy as a car,with lists of aimless laws being passed this should be really reviewed

ASC1951

Guru
With all the drink drive laws for drivers I think the law has to be looked at ,a intoxicated rider can cause a accident,that could very well cause trauma or death,as easy as a car,with lists of aimless laws being passed this should be really reviewed
Then we would just have another aimless law. The number of incidents caused by intoxicated cyclists is so small it's off the radar - and we do already have a law which says it's a criminal offence.

Berties

Fast and careful!
We all live our life on ifs and maybes and people views on safety are not silly,a accident saved is all good to me ,and the whole drinking and riding debate is down to how much could you drink and then ride safely?Easy to me ,you ride on the road with many laws the same as motor vehicles so the dd laws should be the same,simples

theclaud

Openly Marxist
We all live our life on ifs and maybes and people views on safety are not silly,a accident saved is all good to me ,and the whole drinking and riding debate is down to how much could you drink and then ride safely?Easy to me ,you ride on the road with many laws the same as motor vehicles so the dd laws should be the same,simples

I'm sorry, but that's plainly absurd. Bicycles are not the same as motor vehicles, and drunken cycling (unlike drink driving) is largely harmless to others. It can often be a little unwise :whistle:, but that doesn't make it dangerous...

Top Bottom