is it illegal to ride a bike whilst intoxicated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
every time you get on a bike there is a risk,my attitude is i don't add to the risk by not wearing a helmet,and maybe not drinking alcohol ,thats my choice as for, diy where in all in hell did that come from,what personal safety equipment is down to the job you are doing,I've been on sites and got shards of porcelain tile in my eyes,and have had to had it removed all due to not wearing goggles,my weakness is my eyes so yes i wear safety glasses to ride as often been hit in face by flying gravel, I am no safety angel, just part of my day to day is to risk asses grade and control,as i have said i couldn't give a toss if people don't wear a hemet,or ride with a bottle of absinth in there bottle holder,if they decide they are happy to do it, then happy days for them
The risks i have taken over my early years was incredible , high roping,climbing,to name a few,that was then I aint got the bottle any more,getting older wiser!! and more cautious

The relevance is that there are many activities that carry a risk, but that risk is sometimes so low as to make it unnecessary to take action.

Yes, having 2 or 3 pints before cycling does increase the risk, but does it increase it enough to warrant a specific alcohol limit such as we have with cars? We already have a law that makes it illegal to be not in control of the bike - do we need a specific limit? I would say no.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The risks i have taken over my early years was incredible , high roping,climbing,to name a few,that was then I aint got the bottle any more,getting older wiser!! and more cautious

The nice thing about riding a bike when you are plastered is that you are scarcely aware that there is any risk at all. You do become aware that someone has tilted the road upwards since you last rode it sober, though.

Berties

Fast and careful!
The relevance is that there are many activities that carry a risk, but that risk is sometimes so low as to make it unnecessary to take action.

Yes, having 2 or 3 pints before cycling does increase the risk, but does it increase it enough to warrant a specific alcohol limit such as we have with cars? We already have a law that makes it illegal to be not in control of the bike - do we need a specific limit? I would say no.

the problem with having a beer or drink is what would you say is enough,and after having one the next one tastes better then so on,same with a night out ,and then ride,not for me,if your happy then go for it

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Isnt part of the risk of drink driving/cycling that it thins the blood so if you do have a bad crash itll probably make it a lot more serious. The same would be true as the passenger of a vehicle too of course.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Isnt part of the risk of drink driving/cycling that it thins the blood so if you do have a bad crash itll probably make it a lot more serious. The same would be true as the passenger of a vehicle too of course.

i think this is just a general risk of drinking... nothing to do with cycling or driving as you're just as likely to fall down some steps, trip up the kerb, etc.

I asked the same question a little while ago after being advised by a train official to have a go at cycling home wasted because there would be no more trains and they wouldn't let me put the folding bike on the replacement bus. In the end I had a go at signalling and riding in a straight line and decided I was ok. 15 miles went by blissfully and no harm was done. Although I think it's in the genes . . . .

. . . . Mum and Dad (both police officers) once got so shoot-faced at a party they had to ride the tandem down the middle of the road so they could follow the white lines to keep straight-ish! All the traffic bobbies used to cycle to socials.

My pub bike is a trusty steed!

Top Bottom