is it illegal to ride a bike whilst intoxicated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Berties

Fast and careful!
No, I don't go along with this 'one person saved' routine. The restriction needs to be proportionate to the risk, otherwise you end up with daft nonsense like needing a CRB check before you can be in a room with someone else's child and a consequent army of bureaucrats employed to achieve nothing.

if one person reads this thread and thinks about the consequences of drinking and riding,it would be worth it,its another case of
"if i do it every day and its wrong it all appears to be ok in the end",
my earlier responses were written whilst i was completing fire risk assessments for a client,advising him change the way he has done things for years,but you know what he won't,he will put them in file give them lip service,and forget them
I look at risks and think about the way they should be sorted,
how much could you drink and ride safely?who cares it aint against the law so carry on,i don't do it so I am not going to worry,
until its law no ones going to tell me what to do,
crb now there a whole new ball park,i have had a connection with the bacon wing at the local prison if thats what chance you want to take that those guys get close to kids on their release,christ only knows,as the crb flags up the sex offenders good on it

Glow worm

Legendary Member
The £10 or so that taxis were charging circa 1993 for the 3 mile trip from the Mostyn Arms, Bangor to LLandygai was the main reason I bought a bike in the first place back then! A 'refreshed' ride home from my favourite boozer saved me a fortune back in the day.
I sometimes wonder with all this health and safety, risk assessmnet this, risk assessment that llobocks these days, maybe we've forgotten how to really live life and take a few risks every now and then- and bloody well enjoy it!

Berties

Fast and careful!
The £10 or so that taxis were charging circa 1993 for the 3 mile trip from the Mostyn Arms, Bangor to LLandygai was the main reason I bought a bike in the first place back then! A 'refreshed' ride home from my favourite boozer saved me a fortune back in the day.
I sometimes wonder with all this health and safety, risk assessmnet this, risk assessment that llobocks these days, maybe we've forgotten how to really live life and take a few risks every now and then- and bloody well enjoy it!

risk assessment are just a way of life,a lot of commercial buildings/contents insurance companies insist on seeing ,yearly reviews from fire to health and safety and ccps
my god mothers, brother was one of the first people to get done for drink driving back when the law came in,drove well under the influence till the day he got caught because the furthest pub away opened half an hour earlier,then had to go to the nearest pub and miss a bit of drinking time:banghead:

Last Thursday I went to the local boozer after work for a couple (OK 3) and I found the greatest problem riding home was finding somewhere halfway back home to stop and ease the pressure.

Basically you can cycle when you are pissed as long as you are capable of controlling your bike...

Apply sense.

... or rather as long as the Police think you can control the bike, there is a subtle but very important difference.

The opinion is subjective

asterix

Comrade Member
Even without a bike you can be done for being intoxicated, just lying in the road is usually enough.:sad:

What if you were lying in the road completely sober?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
We all live our life on ifs and maybes and people views on safety are not silly,a accident saved is all good to me ,and the whole drinking and riding debate is down to how much could you drink and then ride safely?Easy to me ,you ride on the road with many laws the same as motor vehicles so the dd laws should be the same,simples

If you really think this, then I presume you wear a helmet at all times? When doing DIY? When walking to the shops? It could certainly prevent an injury.

Or, is the risk so small that you don't bother?

Berties

Fast and careful!
If you really think this, then I presume you wear a helmet at all times? When doing DIY? When walking to the shops? It could certainly prevent an injury.

Or, is the risk so small that you don't bother?

every time you get on a bike there is a risk,my attitude is i don't add to the risk by not wearing a helmet,and maybe not drinking alcohol ,thats my choice as for, diy where in all in hell did that come from,what personal safety equipment is down to the job you are doing,I've been on sites and got shards of porcelain tile in my eyes,and have had to had it removed all due to not wearing goggles,my weakness is my eyes so yes i wear safety glasses to ride as often been hit in face by flying gravel, I am no safety angel, just part of my day to day is to risk asses grade and control,as i have said i couldn't give a toss if people don't wear a hemet,or ride with a bottle of absinth in there bottle holder,if they decide they are happy to do it, then happy days for them
The risks i have taken over my early years was incredible , high roping,climbing,to name a few,that was then I aint got the bottle any more,getting older wiser!! and more cautious

I believe it is illegal, at least here in NI anyway. There was a story in our local paper of a guy being fined for it.

It must be a bit daft to do as well if you were fairly p*ssed.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if one person reads this thread and thinks about the consequences of drinking and riding,it would be worth it,its another case of
"if i do it every day and its wrong it all appears to be ok in the end",
my earlier responses were written whilst i was completing fire risk assessments for a client,advising him change the way he has done things for years,but you know what he won't,he will put them in file give them lip service,and forget them
I look at risks and think about the way they should be sorted,
how much could you drink and ride safely?who cares it aint against the law so carry on,i don't do it so I am not going to worry,
until its law no ones going to tell me what to do,
crb now there a whole new ball park,i have had a connection with the bacon wing at the local prison if thats what chance you want to take that those guys get close to kids on their release,christ only knows,as the crb flags up the sex offenders good on it
good grief! Learn to use the space bar!

Top Bottom