is it illegal to ride a bike whilst intoxicated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
We all live our life on ifs and maybes and people views on safety are not silly,a accident saved is all good to me ...
No, I don't go along with this 'one person saved' routine. The restriction needs to be proportionate to the risk, otherwise you end up with daft nonsense like needing a CRB check before you can be in a room with someone else's child and a consequent army of bureaucrats employed to achieve nothing.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Isn't this what bottle cages are for?
IMAG0002.jpg

Hector

Yes it is, however unless you are recorded by the Police weaving across the road, and then burping and farting in between giving a slurred statement saying that you've just come from the pub when you have necked 10 pints then it is very hard to prove.

As others have stated the Police cannot ask you to give a breath test, so the burden falls to the way you are rding and as long as it is considered 'normal' you don't have any problems.

For me though nothing beats a post pub ride and I have two lasting memories:

1) Riding home on the trike after an Easter bank holiday - I had faith in the old girl (the trike) knowing the way home as I certainly had forgotten - that and which side of the road to ride on. Needless to say other cars had to swerve out the way because I ain't moving.

2) Replying ''a few'' to an officer who had asked me how much I had to drink. He'd pulled me over as I was riding without lights on the road. Told me to get on the pavement but I said I did not want to because it is illegal. So we agreed that I should walk with the bike on the pavement. A win win situation for all I think you'll agree.

U

User482

Pissed Cycling should be an olympic sport IMO.

I'd be quite good at it.
As I keep telling you, you really do need to come on an FNRttC. I find 4 or 5 rides are sufficient training for your bike to find the train station on the way back...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When i was at uni many many years ago, i cycled home very very drunk. I managed to scrape most of the skin off my left arm by going too close to a wall, and not being able to steer away from it. I fell into bed, and woke up the next morning covered in blood, sheets covered in blood etc. Don't do it kids, it isn't big and it isn't clever.

Shaun

Founder
A friend of mine has two missing front teeth from his one and only ever drunken ride home. :B)

jayonabike