Is it just me, or does this annoy anybody else??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

When I say to people that I am doing a challenge, such as a sportive etc, their response is "you`re mad"

It feckin` annoys me, why not say "good luck" or give some encouragement??

My announcement of LEJOG was a classic example, along with other pathetic replies such as "I wouldn`t even want to do that in a car!"

To those who don`t ride, HOW ABOUT SAYING SOMETHING POSITIVE......GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

400bhp

Guru
No, it's just you, you weidro.

:evil:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm lucky. Where I work there is a strong cycling culture, both on the shop floor and in the management community. Plenty of people will cycle to work from 10 miles away and there are a few that don't drive and just always cycle to work regardless of weather.

One of the blokes in my old area retired earlier this year. He had a heart attack a few years ago but still came back to work the night shift and continued to cycle the couple of miles to work and back, come rain or shine.

Like I say, a big cycling vibe at work and no one bats an eyelid if you do the LeJoG (other than saying well done) or just cycle 2 miles in the snow :thumbsup:

Chris1983

I get comments like this about all my hobbies, especially the caving....its just a default response from anyone that doesn't understand or share your particular interest...I'm sure you think trainspotting is boring and would question why someone would do that???

Me personally I just like being out on my bike or underground and pushing myself further each time and couldn't careless what anyone else thinks...

but if the comments you receive about the mileage you ride bothers you dont even think of mentioning how much your bike cost, even if they ask you :-) comments like "I paid less for my car" and "I would want an engine for that price" is all you will get :-)
to most people a bike costs no more than £150 in halfords and a 3 mile ride to pub on a sunday is a long way :-)

enjoy the riding and good luck for LEJOG ;-)

GrasB

Veteran
When I say to people that I am doing a challenge, such as a sportive etc, their response is "you`re mad"

It feckin` annoys me, why not say "good luck" or give some encouragement??

My announcement of LEJOG was a classic example, along with other pathetic replies such as "I wouldn`t even want to do that in a car!"

To those who don`t ride, HOW ABOUT SAYING SOMETHING POSITIVE......GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
The response is "How much are you going to sponsor me then?" ;)

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I get comments like this about all my hobbies, especially the caving....its just a default response from anyone that doesn't understand or share your particular interest...I'm sure you think trainspotting is boring and would question why someone would do that???

Me personally I just like being out on my bike or underground and pushing myself further each time and couldn't careless what anyone else thinks...

but if the comments you receive about the mileage you ride bothers you dont even think of mentioning how much your bike cost, even if they ask you :-) comments like "I paid less for my car" and "I would want an engine for that price" is all you will get :-)
to most people a bike costs no more than £150 in halfords and a 3 mile ride to pub on a sunday is a long way :-)

enjoy the riding and good luck for LEJOG ;-)
Cheers Chris:thumbsup:

I actually did LEJOG last year with bigonabianchi, loved it!!

I`ve had both of those comments you mention on a regular basis..........

Enjoy your caving, I don`t do it but well done, I`m all for antbody enjoying their hobbies:smile:

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I'm lucky. Where I work there is a strong cycling culture, both on the shop floor and in the management community. Plenty of people will cycle to work from 10 miles away and there are a few that don't drive and just always cycle to work regardless of weather.

One of the blokes in my old area retired earlier this year. He had a heart attack a few years ago but still came back to work the night shift and continued to cycle the couple of miles to work and back, come rain or shine.

Like I say, a big cycling vibe at work and no one bats an eyelid if you do the LeJoG (other than saying well done) or just cycle 2 miles in the snow :thumbsup:
I`m the only one who cycles in my place, out of a dept of 30 or so, its disgraceful. My commute is 23 miles round trip, or 37 if I go the long way home, yet they still don`t understand, their loss...........:banghead:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Honest reply.

I don't generally like telling non cyclists what ride I am doing, because they just don't get it (hence the responses you are getting). It sometimes feel like I have to justify why I am just cycling.
I try and avoid getting into cycling conversations with non cyclists. I just find the same old questions and comments from people who'll never get it bore me to tears and I slide off the subject as quickly as I can.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I try and avoid getting into cycling conversations with non cyclists. I just find the same old questions and comments from people who'll never get it bore me to tears and I slide off the subject as quickly as I can.
I try to do that now, otherwise it gets painful

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I always wanted to cycle down from Hebden Bridge to Coventry to visit my family, but I didn't feel able to do it while my dad was still alive because he would have moaned on and on about how 'stupid' it was, how I was 'worrying' my mother sick, and so on ... :wacko:

When I did finally do it, 4 years after he died, I didn't tell my mum that I was doing it - I let her think that I was coming down by train. 141 miles later, I turned up feeling no ill effects other than a sore bum and being somewhat hungry. Even then, she worried about me riding back a week later. I had to promise her that I would catch the train somewhere if I got tired! :laugh:

What really bugged me was that my dad used to take my mum out on the back of his motorbike when they first got married, and one of his favourite stories was how they once got from Kenilworth to Coventry in 3.5 minutes - a distance of around 5.5 miles! So much for not taking unnecessary risks ... :whistle:

Top Bottom