Is it just me, or does this annoy anybody else??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I always wanted to cycle down from Hebden Bridge to Coventry to visit my family, but I didn't feel able to do it while my dad was still alive because he would have moaned on and on about how 'stupid' it was, how I was 'worrying' my mother sick, and so on ... :wacko:

When I did finally do it, 4 years after he died, I didn't tell my mum that I was doing it - I let her think that I was coming down by train. 141 miles later, I turned up feeling no ill effects other than a sore bum and being somewhat hungry. Even then, she worried about me riding back a week later. I had to promise her that I would catch the train somewhere if I got tired! :laugh:

What really bugged me was that my dad used to take my mum out on the back of his motorbike when they first got married, and one of his favourite stories was how they once got from Kenilworth to Coventry in 3.5 minutes - a distance of around 5.5 miles! So much for not taking unnecessary risks ... :whistle:
Lovely!!

Well done on the 141 miles though:thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Lovely!!

Well done on the 141 miles though:thumbsup:
It wasn't so much the distance as the lumps on the way ...

HB-COV profile.gif

(The 2 big ones are Holme Moss and Snake Pass, but there were a lot of other West Yorkshire and Derbyshire climbs to tackle as well.)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Honest reply.

I don't generally like telling non cyclists what ride I am doing, because they just don't get it (hence the responses you are getting). It sometimes feel like I have to justify why I am just cycling.

This lots. I had to get pantomime villain grumpy with a few at work who constantly felt the need to let me know about every cyclist that upset them while they were driving, their opinions on cycle lanes and telling me I was mad/suicidal/clearly an arse for being one of them as if we all live together in a big bicycle shaped house & I could have a word on their behalf.

matth411

Veteran
I have this with my colleague, when he isn't asleep. Started off with "I used to ride millions of miles every year when I was a kid" this was from his housing estate to a train station then from the train to school. I put this is into Google....4.6miles riding. Then he went onto "those pedals you have got (SPD) are dangerous and stupid" then insisted he could create a brand new pedal within a month that would make them obsolete. He didn't. Then it started raining and I still commuted... "you are absolutely mad" "why don't you just get a taxi". The new one is "why do you even want to try and ride a century, we get it you are young and fit" or "a century? That is just stupid"

People just do not understand. Being the only cycling commuter I get quite a lot of stick. My boss on the other hand does enjoy a pootle around now and again, and is nothing but supportive. (He went and bought a bike the day after I arrived on my new Sirrus)

All expletives have been removed. Well done to the rides mentioned above and good luck to the ones with planned rides.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I quite enjoy people suggesting that I'm mad.
Weird is all i have got , and sweet style :smile:
Lifted from the complain about football thread by @John the Monkey

Enis Baysal

When I say to people that I am doing a challenge, such as a sportive etc, their response is "you`re mad"

It feckin` annoys me, why not say "good luck" or give some encouragement??

My announcement of LEJOG was a classic example, along with other pathetic replies such as "I wouldn`t even want to do that in a car!"

To those who don`t ride, HOW ABOUT SAYING SOMETHING POSITIVE......GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!
I can totally empathise as im in the same boat as you my friend,
Sorry in avance if this turbs into a minor rant but its been brewing a while^^!

I only recently started cycling but already I feel great about myself and its given me a new inspiration!

I worked a shift at my aunts pub in bethnal green (I live in romford) 1st she said im mad for cycling to her pub because my route back would be dark (which is why I have lights... right?)on top of that I increased my journey back and took a detour turning 9.9 miles into 15.. when I got home I text her letting her know about my detour and letting her know I got home safe... she had a go at me for 10 minutes.. not understanding the fitness aspect of it and how it makes me feel great.

My friends say im taking cycling too seriously because its "gay" (I come from a close friend community of motorcyclists *including myself*..so they really dont understand, well care to understand how and why its become an interest. My family are backward and only consider it dangerous *excepting my mother who fully supports me and is helping me in my 1st purchase of a decent lightweight road bike^^! *happy&!*!

All I can say is there IS a community of cyclists who are fully supportive of the sport, people who do not or have never seriously cycled just wont understand the joy it brings.

Block out ignorance and embrace the people around you who appreciate what you do :smile:

Enis Baysal

I always wanted to cycle down from Hebden Bridge to Coventry to visit my family, but I didn't feel able to do it while my dad was still alive because he would have moaned on and on about how 'stupid' it was, how I was 'worrying' my mother sick, and so on ... :wacko:

When I did finally do it, 4 years after he died, I didn't tell my mum that I was doing it - I let her think that I was coming down by train. 141 miles later, I turned up feeling no ill effects other than a sore bum and being somewhat hungry. Even then, she worried about me riding back a week later. I had to promise her that I would catch the train somewhere if I got tired! :laugh:

What really bugged me was that my dad used to take my mum out on the back of his motorbike when they first got married, and one of his favourite stories was how they once got from Kenilworth to Coventry in 3.5 minutes - a distance of around 5.5 miles! So much for not taking unnecessary risks ... :whistle:
How long did the 141 miles.take you? You surely timed it out of curiosity??^^
And well done by the way! My longest was 45 miles and my legs felt like jelly

MikeG

Guru
I try and avoid getting into cycling conversations with non cyclists. I just find the same old questions and comments from people who'll never get it bore me to tears and I slide off the subject as quickly as I can.
I avoid it to an extent to, but for the reverse reason: I know how boring cycling is to non-cyclists, and most of my friends are into other things other than cycling. I don't want to come across as a bore with them.

yello

I agree with accy cyclist. I think you're being perhaps too sensitive/literal. I think "you're mad" IS both positive and a compliment. Translate it as them saying something like 'I wouldn't do it and I'm impressed that you can '.

Brits are by nature often dismissive/cynical/dour (call it what you will) and tend not to gush with praise but that doesn't mean they don't think it. I blame the protestant work ethic!

Ganymede

Veteran
Being of the female persuasion, and looking a lot younger than my real age (objective fact, soz), I get complete strangers giving me concerned little lectures about staying safe. It's quite sweet really, though I was on the train waiting to get off at the next station a few months ago, helmet on etc and a nice old gent went into the concerned/impressed spiel, amazed that I was going to cycle a massive 3 1/2 miles in the dark, "you take care now" etc, and right next to me was a bloke of about 35 (ie 15 years younger than me) in similar gear who never got a look-in. While we were unchaining our bikes together I said: "he didn't care about you much, did he?" and we had a laugh about it.

Top Bottom