Is it just me, or does this annoy anybody else??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You need to be cautious when you are trying to impress someone and it goes the other way. I posted this in another thread, but a fellow cyclist tried to impress me that he'd ridden all the way from Dieppe to Paris, in one day when I'd just done the same thing, plus London to Newhaven overnight with no sleep and a hundred km pootle on my rest day in between. It was all I could not to say "pah!", or just giggle.

Wearing a t-shirt that says "Brighton to Paris in 24 hours" just seemed strange to me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yup, this is what I hate. I'm doing it because I want to, and I'm not pretending that doing it is altruistic. In fact, I continue to be mystified as to how doing a fun, interesting or challenging thing has become worthy as a "for charity" item. So worthy that it's acceptable for some of the money that people presumably thought was going to charity actually ends up paying for your holiday.

</rant>

i completely agree - if someone wants to do bit of hillwalking, especially combined with 800 miles of high speed driving whilst too tired (dare I say 3 peaks) , then I try make excuses to avoid sponsoring. Or a sponsored abseil - i abseil as a convenient way of getting down into a cave - don't expect sposorship for that - even though it still gives me the willies. and someone had q sponsored firwalking recent where they hqd to raise x to cover the costs (fees) of the organiser - and whilst firewalking does require some nerve, I don't quite see how lighting the fire to be walked upon requries "fees"

That said, a workmate cycled to India, whilst giving lecture tours on the way, and carrying half- hundredweight of leaflets etc for his (extremely worthy) charity. Now that was something ! And his business interests, time, qnd effort are wholly committed to doing good, so I am genuinly humbled by this.

http://www.cyclingforhumanity.org

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When I say to people that I am doing a challenge, such as a sportive etc, their response is "you`re mad"

It feckin` annoys me, why not say "good luck" or give some encouragement??

My announcement of LEJOG was a classic example, along with other pathetic replies such as "I wouldn`t even want to do that in a car!"

To those who don`t ride, HOW ABOUT SAYING SOMETHING POSITIVE......GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Guilty as charged. I do this, in fact I said it to my wife today when she said that one day next month she is going to run a marathon, then the following day ride an 85 mile sportive. Mad I said, totally bonkers, I don't know what you would want to put yourself through it.

I won't do it again. Sorry.

Top Bottom