Is it just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotmitchy

Okay the new bike is on order, the C2W will be sent in for authorisation and I am all keen ... so everywhere I go in the car while I am waiting I mentally do in the bike!

Drove to Dundee today, and I was imaging cycling over the Forth Road Bridge and what it would be like lol. I decided scary!

I have even planned out two cycles I want to do - my house to South Queensferry and back (20 miles), and my house to the Dunmore Pineapple and back (25 miles) - both of which have hills and traffic to contend with.

Given the maximum I have cycled on the old bike so far is nine miles and that took me nearly two hours, do you think my dream cycles are doable within a few weeks of getting the new bike? I reckon I will certainly be able to cycle there, just not sure I will have the stamina to get back!

DavieB

MIA
Im contemplating doing the 2 bridges. Dont know the distance, perhaps I will find out soon
rolleyes.gif

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

I just looked it up on cycle routes it is 39 miles ... the other one I am contemplating is the edinburgh to glasgow, which is in september - the guy in the bike shop is convinced I will be ready for it by then. GULP.

lazyfatgit

Good luckwith the new bike when it comes.

you'll be amazed at how quickly your fittness improves and longer distances become easier.

the Forth bridge is great, i've crossed it a few times now. There's a few here who commute across every day if you need advice on routes and traffic.

Jakey Rowling

I just looked it up on cycle routes it is 39 miles ... the other one I am contemplating is the edinburgh to glasgow, which is in september - the guy in the bike shop is convinced I will be ready for it by then. GULP.

If you keep putting in the miles you will be amazed at how fast you progress. I picked up my new bike 2 months ago from my LBS and it was the first time I had been on a bike since the Eighties...but yesterday I managed 50 miles including 2,500 feet of climbing. Just try and get out on the bike as often as possible and build up your mileage slowly and steadily.

lazyfatgit

Im contemplating doing the 2 bridges. Dont know the distance, perhaps I will find out soon
rolleyes.gif

The first time I tackled this I got the train back to Glasgow from Falkirk as the weather turned a bit nasty and it was dark and cold. theres a few hills around so plan your route better than i did. Was a great feeling though having done 100miles for the day.

oh what wonderfull scenery you have to enjoy. that will surely boost your cycling. i still cycle with a smile on my face. the beautiful country beckons me out to practice and enjoy. i am sure your cycling will improve just dont try to make too bigger leap.

snorri

Legendary Member
I was imaging cycling over the Forth Road Bridge and what it would be like lol. I decided scary!

Not at all scary.
You can stop anywhere on the way across and just appreciate the view, something they are not too happy about you doing in a car. It does vibrate a bit though, the bridge I mean, not the view.:smile:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Go easy, and almost any distance is achievable. I think your target is realistic. Go steady. Rest, hydrate, and feed when you need. You'll be fine.

Okay the new bike is on order, the C2W will be sent in for authorisation and I am all keen ... so everywhere I go in the car while I am waiting I mentally do in the bike!

Drove to Dundee today, and I was imaging cycling over the Forth Road Bridge and what it would be like lol. I decided scary!

I have even planned out two cycles I want to do - my house to South Queensferry and back (20 miles), and my house to the Dunmore Pineapple and back (25 miles) - both of which have hills and traffic to contend with.

Given the maximum I have cycled on the old bike so far is nine miles and that took me nearly two hours, do you think my dream cycles are doable within a few weeks of getting the new bike? I reckon I will certainly be able to cycle there, just not sure I will have the stamina to get back!

You have 2 NCN routes in your area the NCN 1 and NCN 78, which might give you some nice flattish routes to build up your cycle fitness.

Davidc

Guru
Most people I know who've started or returned to cycling find they get up to average speeds of about 10 mph fairly quickly, and that would make your hoped for rides practical.

What arallsopp says in post #9 is what I've always found. Keep well within your capabilities and you can go on for ages.

jimboalee

rolleyes.gif

This gives me an idea for an Audax DIY.

The Forth Road Bridge, the Menai Bridge, the Severn Bridge, the Tamar Devonport Bridge, Tower Bridge, Ironbridge, the Tyne bridge and back over the Forth Road Bridge.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
You should talk to Jane Smart, she lives somewhere near you and could suggest a few good routes. A year ago, Jane wouldn't ride on the roads and wound only use one off road cycle path, now she is doing Time Trials with her local club! I would say that both your dream cycles are doable after a couple of weeks practice and there is no reason which you shouldn't be able to Pedal for Scotland in September, it is not a difficult route.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Routes allways look more frightening in a car for some reason.

Dont overdo it when you first get thebike,little and often will soon build up the leg muscles. Have a couple of rest days each week as well for recovery.

If you keep at it you will be amazed how quickly you improve.I was .

Hills you have to walk on now within a few months you will glide over with gears to spare.

Good Luck .

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
This gives me an idea for an Audax DIY.

The Forth Road Bridge, the Menai Bridge, the Severn Bridge, the Tamar Devonport Bridge, Tower Bridge, Ironbridge, the Tyne bridge and back over the Forth Road Bridge.

Or the full route as above but including the Clifton Suspension and humber Bridge as well :-)

Top Bottom