Is it me or are they a funny lot in the commuting section

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Yes I know.

You ride a motorbike as well :thumbsup:

I have actually been toying with the notion of a single speed (freewheeling hub), but the hills are a killer, and my cycle fitness isn't what iit was. You reckon I could get a steel framed one in the interim as I really don't like riding that orange thing ?

Linford

Tum te tum, I dunno, talk about other stuff, get moaned at, talk about cycle stuff, and then get met with a wall of silence. Just no pleasing some people........

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Tum te tum, I dunno, talk about other stuff, get moaned at, talk about cycle stuff, and then get met with a wall of silence. Just no pleasing some people........

I have actually been toying with the notion of a single speed (freewheeling hub), but the hills are a killer, and my cycle fitness isn't what iit was. You reckon I could get a steel framed one in the interim as I really don't like riding that orange thing ?

I think everyone is just stunned into silence that you are talking about bicycles. Anyway, the way to get better at hills is to get the bicycle and get out there...

on-one-inbred-singlespeed.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Erm, I've been riding and servicing larger cc motorbikes regularly on the road since the beginning of the 80's (as well as a bit of track riding - see pic, I ride at intermediate level).

I've also got an array of Autocom headsets and control gear for rider to rider, and rider to pillion in my possession (gifted). I do all servicing on the motorbikes including engine stripping, and have authored practical (simplified) guides to help other people who want to have a go at such things as valve clearances on multi cylinder bikes but are boggled by the depth of unneccessary detail in the manuals.

I'll PM you the link if you want to see the whole guide on the other forum.

There are plenty of people out there who are better/quicker at these things than I, but that doesn't mean I've not managed to master them.

I am not afraid to put myself up for scrutiny if I believe I have a valid case - Not everyone on here is a bull$hitter.

Now how about yourself. Do you really want to go there as I find what you just did to me as fairly offensive ?

I stand by what I said.
What you have been doing to others is just as offensive.

HovR

Über Member
You ride a motorbike as well :thumbsup:

I'd go with getting a steel racer personally, affordable yet still a joy to ride, and can easily be under 10 kilos - Although watch out, as they can go for some silly prices on eBay.

Saw an ad for an old Peugot in a shop window (Gloucester) a while back, and they only wanted £25, but the frame was pretty huge at 25".

Linford

[QUOTE 1940686, member: 45"]Thanks for the tips. I'd be too scared of the risk with buying from a breaker though.[/quote]

I bought this Triumph 900 as a cat C from Cleeve salvage in Gloucester 12-14 years ago (when it was about 18 months old) A car had pulled out on it, The forks were bent and the front wheel shot. I replaced the damaged bits and then rode it around for about 18 months before selling it on. The owner lives locally, and I saw the bike a couple of years ago being ridden.

182295_10150100281733704_258533_n.jpg

If you mend your own cycles, then this isn't so scary. I was actually thinking of sommething which hadn't been down the road, but perhaps been stolen & recovered and perhaps needed a new ignition barrel, or maybe one of the panels blowing over. I'd seriously consider it for myself if I were chasing it.

If you saw something up this way (salvage or not), and wanted a second pair of eyes on something up this way (ish), I'm sure I could sort something out. many of the bikes in the salvage co's don't have a mark on them. If you need something cheap, don't dismiss it out of hand. You could same a good few bob.

Linford

What has this got to do with MTB???:becool:

Not a lot, but I am easily lead, and am a broad church of interests. Wanna talk about horses as well ? ;)

Linford

Well, My mate has a very nice full sus downhill cannondale bike which he never goes out on and is happy for me to borrow. I have a brilliant downhill course on a nearby hill (Leckhampton Hill) which I've used before and which I really fancy a go on with his. The downside of this is that I've actually ridden this downhill bike and it weighs more than my 600cc motorbike, so it is only ever going to be good for throwing oneself off a hill with, and rather rubbish for getting back up to the top again as it is a very steep hill.

Do I need to employ the services of a small child to push it back to the top to keep the fun in my day ? ;)

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Reporting mobile use

Is it me or are they a funny lot in the commuting section as I get the feeling that they want to hang me up by my goolies for posting my views . I basically said that i think they are over zealous in reporting every person they film , using a mobile while driving and that I wouldn't grass my mum up for doing it ( I would have a word with her ) Also they seem to have the view that driving and answering the phone when you drive is as bad as drinking ten pints of lager and a few shots.If you read from page 16 back you might get a feel of what I mean,
Feel free to tell me I'm wrong if you think I am.
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/reporting-mobile-use-while-driving.50122/page-16
I'd like to think that you caught the wrong group of riders at the wrong time about the wrong subject.....I have found that there is a small minority of forum members that have VERY strong oppinions about specific subjects, possibly from bad experiences, or possibly from being highly moral and unbending citizens who once had a paper clip stolen. But I do think that we should all be able to post our opinions without being verbally keel-hauled, hung , drawn and quartered. Each to thier own, and if you disagree, do so with good manners, supportable facts and sensible arguments. Not wishing to fall off either side of this fence, i'll leave it there.

GilesM

Legendary Member
What has this got to do with MTB???:becool:

Absolutely nothing, and those that want to have a pointless argument really should feck off to one of the pointless argument sections, there's enough of them on this forum, however, just to make it clear as to what this section is for, I've posted a few pics:

Attachments

• GT BT_Apr_10a.jpg
    GT BT_Apr_10a.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Orange at GT Tower.jpg
    Orange at GT Tower.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 89
  • M4 Race Tech.JPG
    M4 Race Tech.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 78

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I post quite often in the commuting section and I'm hilarious, some others however are just blooming annoying and hardle worth a titter.
So in answer to your question, some of us are very funny, others not so much. If you'd put this thread into the commuting section I'm afraid you'd fall very firmly in the latter group :thumbsup:
I too post in "commuting" and I crack myself right up and I can be incredibly tetchy so am both funny and funny. I noticed a couple of folk saying that they avoid the thread for whatever reason but that doesn't stop us over on "commuting" coming over here and being all tetchy and serious and cross.:boxing:

Top Bottom