Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
If they put some traffic police on the streets to catch drivers on the phone as well that would help^_^

With cellphone technology, on-board computers and GPS, one would think that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to figure out who was driving while using a cellphone based on the car's number of occupants and the speed of travel, and fine people without having to use street cops at all.

Alun

Guru
With cellphone technology, on-board computers and GPS, one would think that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to figure out who was driving while using a cellphone based on the car's number of occupants and the speed of travel, and fine people without having to use street cops at all.
Might need a camera focussed on the driver as well. Using a mobile/cellphone whilst driving is not an offence in the UK, but it is using a "handheld" one which crosses the line. Thought I'd mention that as it's probably different in the US.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Might need a camera focussed on the driver as well. Using a mobile/cellphone whilst driving is not an offence in the UK, but it is using a "handheld" one which crosses the line. Thought I'd mention that as it's probably different in the US.

We have vague 'distraction while driving' laws that vary by state, but they are not used to prosecute cellphone use, so every now and then, we get someone somewhere seeking to make cellphone use a clear violation, but I don't think these proposed laws get very far - too many drivers like using the phone while they're driving, and the US is a car (and a telephone) culture, so the law reflects what the lowest common denominator wants. Personally, given how lax law enforcement is when it concerns people behind a steering wheel, I'm surprised the US criminalizes drinking and driving.

You folks are lucky, living in the UK. At least there, if someone kills a cyclist, the driver is likely to see some jail time. Here in the US, drivers who kill get a friendly visit from the police, and an accident investigation that starts from a premise of 'The cyclist was clearly to blame' and goes from there. It's always surprising to me that the families of US cyclists killed on the road aren't stuck with a bill for a car wash to get the blood off the car and for the resulting work to fix the dents, not to mention the therapy visits for the 'victim' (as drivers who kill are often called - and no, I'm not exaggerating).

If you don't believe me, check these out:

http://www.thewashcycle.com/2010/09/pettigrew-death-investigation-continues-vigil-planned.html
In this one, the driver drove all the way home (4 miles!) with a bicycle lodged under her SUV. She thought she had hit an animal, but didn't bother to check. Although witnesses saw smoke and sparks coming from her vehicle, she 'didn't notice' the bike until she got out of the car. She called police and they gave her a friendly visit. They didn't even issue a hit and run citation.

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/26/mother_of_cyclist_killed_by_william.php
In this one, the truck driver left the scene of the accident and days later, when the police found him, he was not cited and the police allowed the truck to be washed clean of blood, erasing evidence. The 'investigation' effectively consisted of noting down the truck driver's and the cyclist's names. At the time, a police spokesman accused the cyclist of running a red light - yet traffic camera footage proves he did not.

With a bit of luck this sort of coverage will help improve the situation:

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/897770-...ting-motorists-who-text-or-call-while-driving

For non-Londoners, this is a free newspaper given out at most Tube stations, and is widely read by travellers.
Hopefully, word will get around and make our commutes a little better.

For Londoners, we also get it in Edinburgh. Available on most busses and in the foyer of my work. I would imagine it is also available in a few other cities, I seem to remember reading it when I worked in Glasgow as well.:rolleyes:

mumbo jumbo

I think the insurers' stance could well be instrumental in changing drivers' behaviour - but it might take a while for it to percolate through to the masses. In the meantime, simple effective messages from elsewhere are most welcome. See for example this pic of the side of a West Mids fire engine. Apologies if this (or similar) has been posted before.
Mobile.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
well the Met have just left my house after taking some details about a vehicle that nearly knocked my 4 yr old off his bike yesterday. wished i had the camera set up , as it would have caught him texting whilst speeding round a blind corner in a residential area. he wasn't too pleased when i chased after him and caught him when he stopped to continue his text convo. i asked him why he thoughtb he could drive and text and think it was fine , nearly hitting my son.
He responded with Eff of you C or i will run you over too. askMID shows it as uninsured too.

the nice man that came from the police was very happy with the details i gave him and smiled when i told him i would take a chance with the breach of the data protection act for using askMID for a non authorised reason :whistle:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Finally, a reason to want to cycle in the capital again. Several lifetimes ago, I was a commuting cyclist living and working in West London. I would not relish a return to that enviroment, now living in the rurals of N. Essex, except for the chance to use this reporting system for vehicle crime. What an amazing opportunity. It's not like the capital is smothered by CCTV that can count the hairs on the back of your hand or anything. ENFORCEMENT is the problem, both with this idea and with most other problem areas in our society. Vandalism - fly tipping - muggings - bad driving. The laws/rules are there, its just that there is not enough follow through to make these laws/rules be feared or obeyed. Our society cant afford it, and thats sad.

Rupie

Über Member
As a driver and cyclist I find most of this post just the usual appauling overly aggressive behavour that makes me sometimes ashamed to be a cyclist. Have some of you got nothing better to do than log drivers details, now video and edit footage, then send it all off daily to the police !
And you wonder why motorists hate you ? Infact even as a cyclist I am embarrised by some of you...If cyclists had reg plates as well and motorists started doing the same for people on pavements, going through red lights, one way streets, and cutting between lorries, it would be a different story.
I know its tough out there but some of you need to look the extreme posts put on this forum and maybe start to worry about some sort of anger issue.

bjellys

I don't condone driving and using a mobile in any way whatsoever, but do feel that this forum is becoming heavily populated by camera weilding cyclists who see it as their duty to go round and film every incident, be it a close pass, a lorry jumping a red light, someone not seeing a cyclist etc etc etc.......leave it to the police guys else we cyclists are going to become even less popular. As has been posted elsewhere, we are not law enforcement officers, if you want to be one then join up as a special!
How long before the BMW and Audi drivers start installing forward facing cameras on their dash to record cyclists jumping red lights, riding on pavements etc!

I must agree they need to get a life and enjoy it ( Sent from my mobile phone while driving past an old peoples home at 99 mph ) Ha Ha !

Top Bottom