Reporting mobile use while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bjellys

We have lives, and we'd like to keep them. That's why we report tossers on the phone. I bet you'd report a drink driver in a heartbeat. A phone driver is very little different to a drink driver

A phone using driver is very driver is very different form a drunk driver they still have their reaction times in tact also if your statement was correct there would be millions of accidents more every day as that seems to be the amount motorists using their phones.
I don't actually use my phone when driving but I still have momentarily lapses in concentration which can have the same consequences.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
You only wish that were true. Drunk drivers often get away with no collisions, but the point is that their risk of having one is significantly higher than for an average driver. The same goes for mobile phone users, who have similar impairment to drink drivers.

Just be subtle..... In Bath earlier this week and a prat is driving through the pedestrian area texting. Missed us by about a foot

Knock on window, pint at crowd and shout in a loud voice

"Officer, can you have a word with this prat about texting whilst driving?"

I have never seen a phone dropped so fast.

Only shame there was no Police actually around.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A phone using driver is very driver is very different form a drunk driver they still have their reaction times in tact also if your statement was correct there would be millions of accidents more every day as that seems to be the amount motorists using their phones.
I don't actually use my phone when driving but I still have momentarily lapses in concentration which can have the same consequences.

Oh really... Read the following research http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/DrivingAssessment2003.pdf

dawesome

• Motorists who talked on either handheld or hands-free cell phones drove slightly slower, were 9 percent slower to hit the brakes, displayed 24 percent more variation in following distance as their attention switched between driving and conversing, were 19 percent slower to resume normal speed after braking and were more likely to crash. Three study participants rear-ended the pace car. All were talking on cell phones. None were drunk.
  • Drivers drunk at the 0.08 percent blood-alcohol level drove a bit more slowly than both undistracted drivers and drivers using cell phones, yet more aggressively. They followed the pace car more closely, were twice as likely to brake only four seconds before a collision would have occurred, and hit their brakes with 23 percent more force. “Neither accident rates, nor reaction times to vehicles braking in front of the participant, nor recovery of lost speed following braking differed significantly” from undistracted drivers, the researchers write.
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/drivingissues/20060830105036.html

If I saw someone drunk getting in a car I'd take their keys. Drivers on mobiles are as bad as drunk drivers, drunk drivers and drivers on mobiles are both recklessly stupid scum.

bjellys

drunk drivers and drivers on mobiles are both recklessly stupid scum
You missed a few smokers / people eating food / people chatting / and last but not least car drivers

bjellys

You can't believe every piece of research you read ,as the people who write it are normally manipulating the figures as to keep their paymasters happy.
How many people were killed on the road where alcohol was a factor ? ( a very high percentage )
How many people were killed on the road where using a mobile was a factor ( a very low percentage this why you only get a fixed penalty for phone use or a driver training course you don't get this for drunk driving )
I can't reply any more as I am off to drive to the pub to do a bit more research I might even ring my mates on the way . ( the pub is the Red Lion on the A30 if you want to report me )

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You can't believe every piece of research you read ,as the people who write it are normally manipulating the figures as to keep their paymasters happy.
How many people were killed on the road where alcohol was a factor ? ( a very high percentage )
How many people were killed on the road where using a mobile was a factor ( a very low percentage this why you only get a fixed penalty for phone use or a driver training course you don't get this for drunk driving )
I can't reply any more as I am off to drive to the pub to do a bit more research I might even ring my mates on the way . ( the pub is the Red Lion on the A30 if you want to report me )
And drink driving has always been punished in the way it is today?

bjellys

I am now doing a bit of research so here are 3 Questions for the camera wielding cyclists

1. Would you report your mother or father for using a mobile while driving ?
2. If you are a car driver have you ever driven over the speed limit ?
3. do you smoke ?

I would like to see a bit of honesty in the answers please.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I am now doing a bit of research so here are 3 Questions for the camera wielding cyclists

3. do you smoke ?

1. If I had some proof that they had, yes. Getting a letter or a fine from the police would be much more effective at getting them to stop doing it than me just telling them.
2. Yes, When I was young and had only been driving a few months. Was pulled over by the police and had a very stern talking to (along with a fine and 3 points). My outlook on driving and safety on the roads has changed, I think that is clear to see ;)
3. No.

dawesome

How many people were killed on the road where using a mobile was a factor ( a very low percentage

What's your evidence that mobile phone use causes very few accidents?

UP TO nine Scots could have been killed in the last three years because of drivers using mobile phones, new information reveals.
Drivers making phone calls, texting or even using smartphones to surf the internet instead of concentrating on the road have caused hundreds of crashes, police statistics show.
Strathclyde Police, Scotland’s largest force, dealt with 81 crashes, including two serious incidents, where driving using a mobile phone was a definite factor.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/04/15/crashes-caused-by-mobile-phones-on-scottish-roads-revealed/

3. do you smoke ?

1. No, but I would certainly tell them what thought.

2. Yes, probably every time I use the car

3. No

bjellys

Perhaps in Scotland they drive with a phone in one hand and a bottle in the other ,the link below is just what I was trying to say about facts and figures.
'' It is estimated that just more than one in seven deaths on Scottish roads involve drivers who are over the legal limit ''
http://m.scotsman.com/news/transport/scottish_motorists_defy_festive_drink_drive_crackdown_1_203979
You don't see police calling for these type of punishments for mobile phone use.
mobile phone use is in the same category /no seatbelt /and speeding.
there are millions of drivers every day using their mobiles if it was that bad hundreds of dead and injured on or road every day.
http://m.scotsman.com/news/transport/scottish_motorists_defy_festive_drink_drive_crackdown_1_203979

Top Bottom