Is it me or are they a funny lot in the commuting section

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

If you're not familiar with the saying
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none
&
http://michael.lustfield.net/content/jack-all-trades-master-none

But as meant, you don't appear to know what you are supposed to be talking about, little less what you are actualy talking about.

Handheld radios are exempt from the mobile phone regulations. Helmet mounted ones are quite common amongst motorbike riders. Some are not even radios, just a two-way link between the two on the bike.

Erm, I've been riding and servicing larger cc motorbikes regularly on the road since the beginning of the 80's (as well as a bit of track riding - see pic, I ride at intermediate level).

5773_113135673703_2791420_n.jpg

I've also got an array of Autocom headsets and control gear for rider to rider, and rider to pillion in my posession (gifted). I do all servicing on the motorbikes including engine stripping, and have authored practical (simplified) guides to help other people who want to have a go at such things as valve clearances on multi cylinder bikes but are boggled by the depth of unneccessary detail in the manuals.

fu6jqp.jpg

oury4p.jpg

I'll PM you the link if you want to see the whole guide on the other forum.

There are plenty of people out there who are better/quicker at these things than I, but that doesn't mean I've not managed to master them.

I am not afraid to put myself up for scrutiny if I believe I have a valid case - Not everyone on here is a bull$hitter.

Now how about yourself. Do you really want to go there as I find what you just did to me as fairly offensive ?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
it isn't realistically worth anything of value and this is what it actually says on the frame

602472_10151032751478704_1138402368_n.jpg

My disappointment knows no bounds...

Linford

I'm about to make a colossal fool of myself, but not for the first or last time. If in no other area, I am at least consistent in this one. :sad:

I rode (and raced) motorcycles many decades ago, so my limited knowledge is trapped in the age of flares...

But the front tyre of that black, motorised roadburner looks like a directional one and appears to be mounted the wrong way round.

I may be wrong and usually am. My knowledge is so dated that it looks wide even for a rear tyre to me....

But do enlighten me; is it a directional tyre and is it mounted backwards? The grooves seem to be set up to squeeze surface water back to the centre of the contact patch.

If I'm wrong, I make no apologies for my ignorance. It is a congenital condition.

I'm on it today, and it is peeing down, so I hope you are wrong:laugh:

The tyre and wheel have directional markers on both of them, and they 'are' pointing in the right direction (fitter got it wrong as they are the only indicaors, but thankfully spotted it as he was tightening the spindle)

Yes there is also a risk of delamination if it goes on the wrong way

What did you used to race ?

Apologies for my presumptuous and incorrect post.

I'm not telling what I raced because I still have most of it (waiting for one of my children to fix up if interested) and I enjoy the anonymity of this forum.

It was slow and I was slower.

Linford

Apologies for my presumptuous and incorrect post.

I'm not telling what I raced because I still have most of it (waiting for one of my children to fix up if interested) and I enjoy the anonymity of this forum.

It was slow and I was slower.

If you like older stuff, you will like this bike owned and raced by my local bike mechanic

205269_10151033667883704_1286313246_n.jpg

556061_10151033667488704_1849741719_n.jpg

Yes it is a BSA Bantam 125:becool:

Don't be ashamed. If I were to go racing, it would probably be on an MZ. I appreciate that competitive racing on supersports or above is prohibitively expensive for a privateer :sad:

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
You really need to stop jumping to conclusions...

My next question is if the video and computer on Behemoth is unacceptable then surely this is also unacceptable:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQzgYMetmoPgAIrVJHp28w6pXDtSQJIVRSD-G_EQJBER4BaUEK.jpg

bmw-dash-geneva111.jpg

Both of which are available on cars in the UK

Now is this acceptable?

This is a big part of my non acting job - car manufacturers are desperate to work out ways do the driver Ian's distracted by pushing buttons as it's only a matter of time before one of them gets sued for playing a part Inman accident.

They are building their units so that certain functions cannot be accessed with the engine turned on.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm on it today, and it is peeing down, so I hope you are wrong:laugh:

The tyre and wheel have directional markers on both of them, and they 'are' pointing in the right direction (fitter got it wrong as they are the only indicaors, but thankfully spotted it as he was tightening the spindle)

Yes there is also a risk of delamination if it goes on the wrong way

:tired:

You are missing the point about these car mounted devices. They are designed to deliver information, and not for interaction whilst on the move. There is an important distinction between the two, and that is why phone use was banned. The recumbent contraption was clearly made for surfing the net whislt on the go.

Two way radio's fall in the same category if a button or series of buttons have to be pushed.. That recumbent bike has millions of them on the dash as well as a handlebar mounted keyboard. Is it any wonder it didn't take off ?

Sorry - can you explain that for me?

Item sits in dashboard.....

Item has information.......

This information magically appears inside the driver's head with no interaction?

You need to interact with these devices to gain the information!
So there is actually no difference whatsoever, taking your eyes off the read to read a screen is a distraction, whether you care to admit it or not.

That is the reason why BEHEMOTH was chosen because although it is old technology it was at the time a concept that showed where the information age would go.

The fact that we now have cars that have large numbers of unnecessary electronic devices to distract the driver. All the driver really needs is a speedometer and a fuel guage, everything else is non-essential

Linford

Sorry - can you explain that for me?

Item sits in dashboard.....

Item has information.......

This information magically appears inside the driver's head with no interaction?

You need to interact with these devices to gain the information!
So there is actually no difference whatsoever, taking your eyes off the read to read a screen is a distraction, whether you care to admit it r not.

You mean like a speedometer ? I used that excuse when I got stopped speeding and it worked :rofl:

Officer - Do you know how fast you were going ?

Me - No idea, I was too focused on what was in front of me on the road. I only glanced down to see the change light on the redline.

Officer - Fair doo's....

Linford

[QUOTE 1939694, member: 45"]Can you fix up a cheap moped for me?[/quote]

A serious (on the level) question ?

Linford

[QUOTE 1939735, member: 45"]Semi-serious. I'm toying with the idea of a moped (you can use the cycle path over the Avonmouth bridge if you're up to 50cc but not over), but second-hand is a minefield of boyracing, teenage, single-pot wreckers.[/quote]

I'd steer clear of the cheap chinese bikes, and look at something like Peugeot Speedfight (sp) or anything out of the big 4 Japanese if your budget will stretch to it.

As long as it is unmodified as a starting point, go for anything with a graze on it, and get it repainted (I know a sensibly priced co in Cirencester who can and has done wonders for me and many mates bikes). Consider the salvage co's in Brizzle behind Temple Meads) who get them in as falling off the stand can write a bike off if enough panels are damaged.(which isn't a big deal) There is also a salvage co in Gloucester by the docks which has a lot of this stuff in.all the time

http://www.ukmotorbikesalvage.co.uk/

Plenty of options available as most kids only have them for a year or so.

Edit, lookingon that salvage site, it might be worth taking a punt on a chinese bike for a couple of hundred quid.

Linford

You are so going to chafe your knee riding like that.

It isn't something I make a habit of on the road. You (I) have to be pushing on to get to that point. It is used as a lean indicator on the track, as well as an indicator of how quickly you are taking the corner in relaion to previous passes

Top Bottom