Is it possible to keep feet dry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Are you on flat pedals or cleated?

If flats them walking shoes are very effective, I use a £20 sports direct era Karrimor pair that have seen me right for a couple of winters of daily commuting & dog walking. I also have, but have barely evwr worn some waterproof lined chino type hiking trousers, they're not boil in the bag but do sound a wee bit crinkly.

Wirh clippy pedal, you can get winter proof cleated boots but they cost a bit. Then put walking gaiters under your trousers & over the boot tops so the water flows naturally outside at each joint point, as roof tiles work.

U

User33236

Yes. I managed it on my recent LEJOG tour during the wettest May in yonks. Wore Northwave Celsuis Goretex boots and Berghaus Paclite jacket and overtrousers. Left loose (ie with no clips or owt) the overtrousers covered the top of the boot and, sorry to contradict anyone, I didn't get wet feet. Actually I did, for the first few days, then I bought the above mentioned boots from Evans Cycles in Bristol and posted my shoes and neoprene overboots home, cos they didn't work. Rest of trip, loadsa rain, dry feet.
I use the same boots on my winter commutes. The mistake I made was having my waterproof trousers ever so slightly too short so water ran down the tope of the boots. Some longer trousers on the shopping list for the upcoming winter.

U

User33236

DivingSuit.jpg
Is this going to turn into another helmet thread? :laugh:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
A rain cape is fairly good at delaying soaking feet, it keeps your legs fairly dry and stops water draining down your legs into your shoes.

Tom B

Guru
Decent sockets and if you're really, really desperate cover you feet in carrier bags before putting your shoes on, but really you need to accept there's no real way of stopping it, only minimising it.

I use Planet X overshoes and for relatively budget jobs have found them to be excellent both thermally and for waterproofness.

I have to say I go down the foot, sock, pedal bin liner, sock, shoe route. I dint mind being wet as long as I'm not cold.

I have shimano r109 shoes that are like Swiss cheese!

Are you on flat pedals or cleated?

If flats them walking shoes are very effective, I use a £20 sports direct era Karrimor pair that have seen me right for a couple of winters of daily commuting & dog walking. I also have, but have barely evwr worn some waterproof lined chino type hiking trousers, they're not boil in the bag but do sound a wee bit crinkly.

Good point if riding with flats I use my altberg peacekeeprrr boots and good qualitywaterproof over trousers with cycle clips!

jps71

I wear hiking boots with a gortex lining.
They may look ungainly but keep feet warm & dry.
Make sure any trousers over lap the top of the boot though.

MarkyMark292

I used LAKE MTB cycling boots on my hybrid (flat pedals not clipped although I could have with these boots) for many years until they changed the design and with Endura overtrousers and winter merino socks, they kept my feet dry and warm through the coldest and wettest of winters. I happily rode through puddles and had no worries of wet feet.

I have since upgraded to a carbon framed road bike with clip-ins and I am having problems keeping my feet dry even with specialized's waterproof boots. I think I need to forgo the tights and go back to waterproof trousers over the top (which will be my last experiment with these boots before I sell them on as useless) to see if they stay any dryer as the water is leaking in through the top from my tights. They say this in the description "Sealed canopy and neoprene collar keep heat in and water out" which is nonsense as they don't!!!

bornagainst

Über Member
I've found the 'Northwave Celsius GTX Winter MTB Shoes' worth every penny of the £100 or so they cost. Along with mudguards and it really does take awful, awful weather before water gets through....

Waterproof walking shoes, neoprene overshoes, long waterproof trousers over the top (with integral unclippable shoe cover) and I still get wet, grotty socks (from the sweat) - better than cycling in two foot puddles tho' (IMO)

MarkyMark292

I used LAKE MTB cycling boots on my hybrid (flat pedals not clipped although I could have with these boots) for many years until they changed the design and with Endura overtrousers and winter merino socks, they kept my feet dry and warm through the coldest and wettest of winters. I happily rode through puddles and had no worries of wet feet.

I have since upgraded to a carbon framed road bike with clip-ins and I am having problems keeping my feet dry even with specialized's waterproof boots. I think I need to forgo the tights and go back to waterproof trousers over the top (which will be my last experiment with these boots before I sell them on as useless) to see if they stay any dryer as the water is leaking in through the top from my tights. They say this in the description "Sealed canopy and neoprene collar keep heat in and water out" which is nonsense as they don't!!!

I have since cycled with my over trousers using the Specialized road boots and my feet still got wet through. I am picking up SPD pedals and cleats tomorrow so I can use my old Lake boots instead. I have also sent Evans Cycles an email asking them how I go about a refund because the Specialized boots are not fit for purpose and before anyone says it is sweat, it isn't!!!

I have come to this conclusion after years of different options:
You have more and better options for proper waterproof boots when you choose from the MTB range. Anything with any kind of vent, fabric or otherwise, is going to let water in. You need a good solid upper (preferably leather or man made equivalent) and no holes in the sole, which you tend not to get with MTB boots.

MarkyMark292

I have since cycled with my over trousers using the Specialized road boots and my feet still got wet through. I am picking up SPD pedals and cleats tomorrow so I can use my old Lake boots instead. I have also sent Evans Cycles an email asking them how I go about a refund because the Specialized boots are not fit for purpose and before anyone says it is sweat, it isn't!!!

I have come to this conclusion after years of different options:
You have more and better options for proper waterproof boots when you choose from the MTB range. Anything with any kind of vent, fabric or otherwise, is going to let water in. You need a good solid upper (preferably leather or man made equivalent) and no holes in the sole, which you tend not to get with MTB boots.

Update:
I sent an email to Evans HQ about my specialized boots and they told me to pop in the shop and speak to them there, which I did. They have now taken my boots from me and are sending them off for testing under the warranty. An employee in the shop said he has a pair and he hasn't had as bad an experience as myself. Mind I forgot to ask him his mileage per ride in persistent rain and cold weather. I shall update when I have an outcome.

Top Bottom