Is it really 95% the Rider and 5% the Bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Since we are now talking about TTing and not road racing or casual cycling and since we are in agreement that aerodynamics plays a part in attaining speed and that a riders position plays a large part in that would it be safe to say that it is 95% te rider and 5% the bike?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Since we are now talking about TTing and not road racing or casual cycling and since we are in agreement that aerodynamics plays a part in attaining speed and that a riders position plays a large part in that would it be safe to say that it is 95% te rider and 5% the bike?
Ummm no, because you need a specific type of bike to put you in an aero position.
I can get semi aero on my ventura, but how much faster would I be with a full on TT bike and full aero position with a bit of practice?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Here's a pic of me on the ventura, clearly I could go a lot lower at the front, but my geometry doesn't allow that.

image.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
Ummm no, because you need a specific type of bike to put you in an aero position.
I can get semi aero on my ventura, but how much faster would I be with a full on TT bike and full aero position with a bit of practice?

You need the rider to hold the position for the vast majority of the time of the distance - you can't buy it, you need to train for it.

Lots of triathletes buy TT bikes and ride the hoods...I may do the same! :smile:

andyamonty

Lots of focus on previous pages around people basically asking if a better bike will make them quicker than someone else. Thats a ridiculous way to look at this. As Citius says, if you lose to someone on DA whilst using Ultegra, you probably would have lost to them on DA. The only measurement is against yourself. I have swapped in recent times from an aluminium framed bike to a much more aggressive carbon framed bike. It has made me quicker, particularly up hills and on the flat, but thats the measurement - against me.

Lets face it, most of us claim that its the equipment as we're just trying to justify to our wives how these awesome Carbon rims will make us faster and we'll back back quicker to mow the lawn on a weekend.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Lots of focus on previous pages around people basically asking if a better bike will make them quicker than someone else. Thats a ridiculous way to look at this. As Citius says, if you lose to someone on DA whilst using Ultegra, you probably would have lost to them on DA. The only measurement is against yourself. I have swapped in recent times from an aluminium framed bike to a much more aggressive carbon framed bike. It has made me quicker, particularly up hills and on the flat, but thats the measurement - against me.

Lets face it, most of us claim that its the equipment as we're just trying to justify to our wives how these awesome Carbon rims will make us faster and we'll back back quicker to mow the lawn on a weekend.
But if someone else was quicker than you, and you're now quicker than yourself, might you not also now be quicker than someone else?

Tin Pot

Guru
But if someone else was quicker than you, and you're now quicker than yourself, might you not also now be quicker than someone else?

I sense a paradox looming...

Perhaps if you replace the drive chain with a flux capacitor it will resolve the matter?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry I couldn't trawl through all 15 pages so far so apologies if this has been mentioned already.....

The climb they do in the video is called Pym's Chair. It is one of the steepest, most difficult climbs in the Peak District. Maxes out at about 28%. House's bike is single speed I think (I couldn't see in the video but presumably is). The advantage a geared bike gives up a really steep climb like that (with a lot of changes in gradient) is huge. It's like the story of early TdF riders on single-speed being slower up climbs than amateurs on geared bikes (the race organisers prohibited geared bikes)

Seems to be a waste of time trying to extrapolate anything from such an extreme example of bike riding

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm faster on my heavier , cheaper , Alu TT bike than i am on my carbon road bike that cost a few k and ive spent more on .

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran

That's actually been MY point all along!

If anybody reads the entire thread you will find that my viewpoint is that you can actually be faster on a better bike. Doesn't make you faster than a majorly better rider, but can close the gap a little.

Citius' view is that the bike means nothing, it's totally down to the rider.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That's actually been MY point all along!

If anybody reads the entire thread you will find that my viewpoint is that you can actually be faster on a better bike. Doesn't make you faster than a majorly better rider, but can close the gap a little.

Citius' view is that the bike means nothing, it's totally down to the rider.
Well i have to say that Citius seems to be right if my situation is anything to go by .

Citius

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Train to knock off the minutes. Spend to knock off the seconds. Looking forward to seeing how 'bp' misinterprets that one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom