Is it right/acceptable to let your dog crap on someones lawn ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Definitely not acceptable.I got into a huge row years ago with a neighbour who's dog kept coming over to my garden and leaving its turds all over it..I ended up bagging it all up (a weeks worth) and took it round to his house and dumped it on the bonnet of his car.
I asked him numerous times to keep his dog under control but he just ignored me until I finally lost my rag.

Did he stop then letting his dog c all over?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Cat owners seem to find something similar perfectly acceptable.

No thats not true, most have litter trays down for them and a cat will prefer to go to the toilet on its tray to outside. Mine dont c in other peoples gardens.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
No!

Like the OP, I am not, and have never been, a dog owner, but, I never cease to be amazed by what some dog owners appear to find acceptable.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
No!

Like the OP, I am not, and have never been, a dog owner, but, I never cease to be amazed by what some dog owners appear to find acceptable.

My house backs onto a small country park. When I stroll around it there are often dog turds on the path.....there is no way the owner cannot know what the dog has done.
It really does disgust me.

My house backs onto a small country park. When I stroll around it there are often dog turds on the path.....there is no way the owner cannot know what the dog has done.
It really does disgust me.

Lots of owners let their dogs off lead so they've no chance of seeing what they're up to. So that's probably where the poo comes from.

Mine is on lead so all of his gets cleaned up.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Did you read all of my post ?
I clearly said that having never owned a dog I don't know what his considered acceptable to dog owners.

Well, it's in the thread title, is it not?

Not acceptable on a neighbour's property, not acceptable on an adjacent footpath. There is a regular route to and from a local primary school past my back gate and several decades ago it seemed to be perfectly acceptable to let your beloved pooch squeeze one out wherever it pleased. No doubt it's delightful for the dog, and for some owners their pet can do no wrong. "Aah bless, he's having a dump. Who's a clever boy then".

You can imagine the mess when small children walked to school with their parent, small careless feet landing in the ordure and tracking it for yards along the pavement for other feet to pick up and redistribute. No doubt they learned very quickly to detect suspicious packages on the path and navigate the poopiferous obstacle course. Despite many more kids going to school by car nowadays there's still a lot of foot traffic. Now that dog owners have been "house trained" to collect the whiffy dollops in bags it's a lot more pleasant for the rest of us. Just because most of it's in a bag doesn't mean there isn't some noxious residue left behind. Maybe some dog owners are quite happy to have their own lawns decorated with the pointy ended reminders of thir dogs' previous poops in various stages of decomposition, but it's not something that appeals to most.

The usual response to cats using your garden as a toilet seems to be, get a cat! Since cats will use someone else's garden, and other cats will keep away, it just tends to move the problem elsewhere, rather than solve it..

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well, it's in the thread title, is it not?

Not acceptable on a neighbour's property, not acceptable on an adjacent footpath. There is a regular route to and from a local primary school past my back gate and several decades ago it seemed to be perfectly acceptable to let your beloved pooch squeeze one out wherever it pleased. No doubt it's delightful for the dog, and for some owners their pet can do no wrong. "Aah bless, he's having a dump. Who's a clever boy then".

You can imagine the mess when small children walked to school with their parent, small careless feet landing in the ordure and tracking it for yards along the pavement for other feet to pick up and redistribute. No doubt they learned very quickly to detect suspicious packages on the path and navigate the poopiferous obstacle course. Despite many more kids going to school by car nowadays there's still a lot of foot traffic. Now that dog owners have been "house trained" to collect the whiffy dollops in bags it's a lot more pleasant for the rest of us. Just because most of it's in a bag doesn't mean there isn't some noxious residue left behind. Maybe some dog owners are quite happy to have their own lawns decorated with the pointy ended reminders of thir dogs' previous poops in various stages of decomposition, but it's not something that appeals to most.

The usual response to cats using your garden as a toilet seems to be, get a cat! Since cats will use someone else's garden, and other cats will keep away, it just tends to move the problem elsewhere, rather than solve it..

My daughter and family are moving in here. They have 3 dogs (a lab and 2 terrier thingies) plus a cat.
They should help fend off incomers.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a grassed area all the way around the flats where I live. Technically it belongs to the housing association and we (the tenants) pay for its upkeep through our rent. Therefore it's not 'common land' maintained by the council and available to the general public. Yet with it not being fenced off the general public have access to it. The top photo, where those trees are has become a problem area lately. The other week I let my mutt out for a late night pee and a number 2. He was attracted to that particular area due to dog owners letting their dogs go there, more than the other areas. Unfortunately for me, as I picked up his poop I ended up with a big dollop of other dogs's mess on my shoe. Luckily I saw it before going back into my flat, as I always check my shoes after walking on there. The mess was so bad that I couldn't face attempting to clean it off, so I had to bin the shoe. I've opened my door, mainly in the evening and late at night to find folk letting their dogs relieve themselves. Most I see pick it up and are quite polite when they see me. Though I have had the odd one who when I say go to put stuff in my recycling bins will say something not too polite under their breath for me to hear. One bloke called me a nosy old @#! and seemed to make a habit of arriving at the same time and glaring at my flat, seemingly looking for a confrontation. I know this as I'd see him from my upstairs window, with my lights off so he couldn't see me. One night he let his dog have a number 2 which he didn't pick up. The following night he returned so I went out to tell him he was being filmed and that my 'head case neighbour wanted a word with him'. I don't have such a neighbour, but he didn't know that and it had the desired affect as he never returned. There's a dog poop bin about 10 yards from my front door, yet some seem to think that us residents here should pick their dog's mess up, not them!

nc_ohc=5wgkBOb0EKgAX_r2OBL&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=x39x3-MF-UQAX_wxBY6&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

As you can see, there's a dog poop bin close to my front door and close to the grassed area outside my flat, yet one or two dog owners think the grassed area is a dogs toilet and therefore no need to use the bin provided!

rwwAnxljuBCgzgc9qnX2XllfUg&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
at least the dog owner cleared up after their dog. Dogs poo in parks and on towpaths too; places where children may also play. So long as the owner bags up the poop, i don't see it being a big deal.

classic33

Leg End Member
at least the dog owner cleared up after their dog. Dogs poo in parks and on towpaths too; places where children may also play. So long as the owner bags up the poop, i don't see it being a big deal.
Bag it and bin it would be better still.
The bags have an expected lifespan of less than a month. Some less than a week.

Top Bottom