Is it right/acceptable to let your dog crap on someones lawn ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Bag it and bin it would be better still.
The bags have an expected lifespan of less than a month. Some less than a week.

I figured binning it after bagging it was a given for most. Some like to hang it from trees, which I've never quite got my head around... where's the logic in that? :wacko:

I wonder if the OP's intention was to give people who have never owned dogs a place to vent their spleen? It feels a little like that.

In 2023 research was carried out that indicated that 31% of the UK households owned one or more dogs. In 2021/22 that worked out 13 million dogs in the UK. If all those dog owners failed to collect their dog's poop we'd have a lot bigger problem than being misrepresented here. The vast majority do pick up after their dogs.

Where I used to live the only problem owners we had were a couple of husky owners who couldn't control their dogs and the locals convinced them to walk their dogs elsewhere. The second was a jogger who looked like he had money judging by the expensive kit he wore. He would let his two labs run free and was too busy running to care about his dogs. That canal towpath was often fouled by a big pile of lab poop! That was until a local character who lived in a canal boat came back to the area. A dog owner himself he took it upon himself to police the towpath dog owners who were irresponsible. He was a bit of a psycho too who lost his temper at times, Needless to say that runner picked his dog's poop up after he was confronted. As that psycho guy told us the irresponsible dog owner told him he had no poo bags, but the psycho still got him to pick it up by hand! He learnt a lesson that day!

Seriously though, IME there's a minority that cause most of the issues. The other point is you are more likely to see those poo bags left in countryside areas by people visiting the area from outside, townies taking their dogs for a walk in the countryside. Whatever I've lived, in rural or semi rural areas, the locals tended to keep their patch relatively clean. Within those areas the spots outsiders would visit to exercise themselves and their dogs there would be issues. Often full poo bags in carparks or thrown over the wall from the path, things like that.

However, I towns, urban and suburban areas no see the locals also picking up after their dogs. You do however get problem spots in all areas. The guy upthread with the grassy spot with trees used as a doggy toilet do exist but they're often used to blow the issue out of proportion.

Incidentally when I lived in a small local town there was a small, rectangular green space for communal use, often used by kids and dog owners. It was kept immaculately dog poo free by dog owners who used it. However, it was still absolutely full of cat poo. Even fox poo. Trust me I know because my dog has rolled in enough of it to stop us using it! Fortunately they mostly went in the few flower borders not on the lawn areas kids played on. Perhaps we should be making cat owners scoop their own cat's poo up because in that area it was the cats that were the source of the local poop problem. Well them and the Friday night vommitters who frequented a certain pub! xx(

Bag it and bin it would be better still.
The bags have an expected lifespan of less than a month. Some less than a week.

I'm not sure that's right. I thought it was in the months and maybe more. They're not as bio degradable as they make out.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
One neighbour last summer was sunbathing in the garden area here when he rolled over and felt something sloppy!:ohmy: He saw brown mess on his chest and feared the worse. I told him to have a sniff, just to make sure it was you know what. Reluctantly sniffing it he told me it didn't smell like the stuff, offering me a sniff of his finger. I declined the offer, but looked at the colour and consistency of the stuff and then realised i'd see this before. It was wood pigeon (usually hazelnut colour) crap. They drop big dollops from the trees around here in the spring and summer. Some are so big that they do look like dog poop.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have never had a cat but for some reason my side garden is used as the local cats toilet. Seriously I can regularly find 3, 4 even 5 loads of it.

Don't get me started .... Life is a constant battle in my garden against the vile little crapping machines. I've tried ultrasonic devices (waste of money), I've tried Renardine (which is now illegal to buy and doesn't work anyway). I set up black cotton trip wires which can be quite effective to protect young plants. I save thorny branches to put on borders to deter them. I've tried all kinds of useless stuff from the garden centre. On the rare occasions I get a chance and see them I use the hosepipe on them or throw anything I have to hand at them. The war goes on.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Don't get me started .... Life is a constant battle in my garden against the vile little crapping machines. I've tried ultrasonic devices (waste of money), I've tried Renardine (which is now illegal and doesn't work anyway). I set up black cotton trip wires which can be quite effective to protect young plants. I save thorny branches to put on borders to deter them. I've tried all kinds of useless stuff from the garden centre. On the rare occasions I get a chance and see them I use the hosepipe on them or throw anything I have to hand at them. The war goes on.

That's probably how I started. The ultrasonic devices worked well for most with me, but one particular older cat just ignored them. It didn't look the best, but to break the cycle of using ours as a latrine, Mrs Slick placed loads of sticks protruding through to prevent them sitting which seemed to work best, although we continued the get the odd one. We did win the war eventually but we befriended the big guy, and he quickly considered my garden as his. This quickly turned from him not using our garden as a toilet into chasing every other cat in the area away. It now does make me smile when I hear other cat owners say that their cat never goes to the toilet in the garden. There is a downside however, as we missed that guy so much, we now have 3 wee black beauties of our own. 🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛🐈‍⬛

Alex321

Veteran
Cat owners seem to find something similar perfectly acceptable.

There is no such thing as a cat owner. The cat owns you, not the other way around :smile:

Seriously, the law recognises that we have little control over "normal" cat behaviour, and people are not expected to be able to control where their cat goes or what it excretes where.

Slick

Guru
There is no such thing as a cat owner. The cat owns you, not the other way around :smile:

Seriously, the law recognises that we have little control over "normal" cat behaviour, and people are not expected to be able to control where their cat goes or what it excretes where.

To be fair, its a bit of an anomaly though.

Cats are wanderers and there's just no way you can stop or control what they do where, but I have often wondered if that will always be the case in future.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I would hope that behaviour is not controlled only by what is legally required.

Alex321

Veteran
I would hope that behaviour is not controlled only by what is legally required.

It isn't, but with cats it is controlled by what is reasonable. Nobody can reasonably control a cat unless it is kept indoors all the time. There are a few cats which will take to a lead, but very few.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It isn't, but with cats it is controlled by what is reasonable. Nobody can reasonably control a cat unless it is kept indoors all the time. There are a few cats which will take to a lead, but very few.

Problem solved, possibly with the addition for an enclosed pen for a bit of exercise and defacating.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I would add that foxes are the artistic masters of pooping. Rather than just a functional dump, Mr Fox turns it into a performance.

I've found fox crap tastefully arranged on a leaf on top of a wall or balanced on to of an upturned plant pot. The reason for this is that foxes are sensitive aesthetes. A cleverly placed poop warns other foxes "Keep out, this is my patch and I have style!"

Top Bottom