Is it the right way to go about it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cycling bodies have given a cautious welcome to plans to introduce fines for cyclists who do not obey the rules of the road
Clare FM’s Tommy Mescall asked people in Ennis what they think of the new fines
John was joined by Patrick O’Donoghue of the Burren Cycling Club who thinks it’s a great idea to regulate cyclists on the road but added that fines would be difficult to enforce
He suggested that more needs to be done to provide cycle lanes, better road surfaces to keep cyclists safer.
Paul Edson of the West Clare Cycling Club and Cycle Ireland coach also spoke with John
He thinks this is more of an urban issue – cyclists in Dublin for example can behave very dangerously
He added that cyclists do have a responsibility to uphold like all road users.
http://www.clare.fm/blog/morningfocus/morning-focus-friday-july-19

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Cyclists can be charged for most of the same motoring offenses as other vehicles (with the exception of speeding, talking on the phone, and a few other bits and bobs). Jumping red lights, dangerous riding, and other things can be fined and in the extreme cases (if someone is injured for example) prosecuted.
Recently (actually throughout the year) there has been an increase in the amount of police in London clamping down on cyclists RLJing. I myself are actually going along to a cycle-road safety training thing tomorrow with the police.

Fines for cyclists have been going for quite a while now. Its only recent that they have increased fines (and are talking about increasing them further to £120 for jumping a red light). The message (well in London) is at least starting to come across. I cant say personally, but I am sure that cyclists in London have seen a crackdown.

It would be nice to see the police in my area issuing fines to cyclists (I have never heard of one being issued). The problem with catching cyclists isnt very hard. You have a plain clothes officer with a camera who stands at the lights, and down the road have another officer ready to stop the cyclist.

With the increase in cycling (popularity) there has obviously been a need for an increase in policing. Whether or not utilities will be moved is another thing, but the police are trying to take a step in the right direction with regards to rule breakers.

Davidc

Guru
Is there any good reason that cyclists shouldn't be fined for lawbreaking?

I'm surprised Ireland didn't inherit UK law on this at the time of independence.

tyred

Legendary Member
Is there any good reason that cyclists shouldn't be fined for lawbreaking?

I'm surprised Ireland didn't inherit UK law on this at the time of independence.

You always could be fined. It would have involved a summons and court appearance. A lot of hassle and expense so never really happened.

What is different now is that they are fixed penalty notices.

TBH, you would need to be incredibly unlucky or stupid to get done for any road traffic offence here as enforcement was always lax and now policing budget cuts mean almost zero traffic policing outside of the larger towns. To put matters into perspective, a women quite near here who came home to find her house burgled had to drive to the barracks and pick up a Guard to take him out to investigate the crime as he had no transport at his disposal.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Thats only one measure that was talked about. Bells on all bikes, being another. And it would be done on a local level, so it could very well vary from one area to another.

Top Bottom