Is it too late to start again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
In a couple of months I'll be 45.
I'm completely sick to death of my job and beginning to suffer from work related stress, so I reckon it's time to get out before I go under. I know plenty of people just turn up at work, go through the motions and take the money. I just can't do that and it would probably stress me even more!

I've got this mad idea that I should go back to University and get another degree and have a total change of career.
My big question is that as I'll be nearly 50 when I get out finish, will anyone want to employ me at that age?
Am I going down a dead end with this and should I look at other options?

TVC

First question. If you could do anything what would it be?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't seen how getting another degree in another subject is going to get you a better job. First you have to decide what you want to do surely, then decide if you even need to go back to uni to achieve what you want. That's your starting point.

what do you want to do?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have two friends who have made major career changes in their mid forties. One, a graduate fuel and energy engineer, went from computer programming into nursing via a nursing degree. The other, a graduate chemical engineer, was a colour chemist, a university lecturer in Turkey, a maths teacher in the UK and qualified as a doctor this year in Romania.

A book that might bring clarity to your thinking is Build Your Own Rainbow.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It's a great idea but it is hard doing Uni stuff at that age. Unless it's formalising stuff you already are familiar with.

It's easier if anything because second time round the undergraduate has life, work, and time management skills to excel not to mention the motivation.

My aforementioned friends graduated as top medical student and top nursing student - they both had vision and drive.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It definitely sounds like a big change is in order, whether or not going back to university is the right path.

Life is way too short to spend 8+ hours a day doing something you don't enjoy.

ScotiaLass

Guru
In a couple of months I'll be 45.
I'm completely sick to death of my job and beginning to suffer from work related stress, so I reckon it's time to get out before I go under. I know plenty of people just turn up at work, go through the motions and take the money. I just can't do that and it would probably stress me even more!

I've got this mad idea that I should go back to University and get another degree and have a total change of career.
My big question is that as I'll be nearly 50 when I get out finish, will anyone want to employ me at that age?
Am I going down a dead end with this and should I look at other options?
I was medically retired from my career as a qualified nurse at the age of 46.
I headed back to college and spent the next 3 years studying for my HND in Photography - something that before then had only been a casual hobby. It was difficult at times and there was more than one occasion when I wanted to throw it all in, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I'd say go with what you feel!

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm thinking of doing a degree in physiotherapy.
Doing the degree is really the way into the career. I'm not thinking of doing it just for the Uni experience, though it has to be said that I would easily get a better grade this time round.
Education is wasted on the young, lol!
I'm just concerned that at nealy 50 years old a prospective employer might not be too keen to take me on.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It's easier if anything because second time round the undergraduate has life, work, and time management skills to excel not to mention the motivation.

My aforementioned friends graduated as top medical student and top nursing student - they both had vision and drive.
Yes that's certainly true vern. It was more the getting new stuff to stick in an ageing head I was thinking of. Being organised is often what separates the good from the also ran

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm thinking of doing a degree in physiotherapy.
I'm just concerned that at nealy 50 years old a prospective employer might not be too keen to take me on.

Every trade or profession has its own way of doing things, which you can only know if you are a member.

I would ask a few physios what the crack is for employing a newly qualified guy of, er, more mature years.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
'Better' is very difficult and a very individual thing to pin down.
I'm currently well payed, very good conditions and in with what many would consider a dream job. But I'm bored, unchallenged and increasingly stressed.

In that case if it's what you want, go for it and good luck.

Top Bottom