Is it too soon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1st outing of the year yesterday, could have done with taking the old back with gaurds tbh . ride leader has a liking for muddy farm roads :cry:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We haven't had much salt spread on the roads around here this winter. I'd take my best bike out on a dry day,then wash it down with plenty of soapy water. I wouldn't use it when the roads are wet or damp. You can sense the salty spray eating away at those delicate parts,as you ride along..:unsure:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Definitely too soon. The roads are still salty and there's lots of mud and gritty water running across the roads where drainage has failed through lack of maintenance. Stick to the all-year bike with mudguards.

I took the best bike out on Friday afternoon and although I enjoyed the blast, I regretted it because I then spent an hour lovingly cleaning it down with soap made from the milk of a virgin alpaca and drying it with rose-scented Egyptian cotton towels.

Had a couple of run-outs on the Helium this year with a nice 50k on Sunday.Will use it if it's dry but will probably stay away from the more mud prone routes for a bit though.

Oh and the mandatory club ride mudguard rule is in place until the end of March so it won't be used for that for a while.

Carbon tub wheels are still in hibernation though although they may get an airing on a nice day.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You may only consider taking your expensive bike out between July 23rd and August 04th, and even then, only consider it on dry days that fall during that period. Avoid any puddles that might remain, and stay off any dusty roads where dried airborne dirt particles might get into the moving parts.

Or get a bucket and sponge and ride whenever you want. ;)

Will Spin

Über Member
Two of my "best" bikes have mudguards! I have found that the roads are never as dry as you think they are going to be and round here it isn't just water that comes up off the road! Don't usually take any bike out with no mudguards until May.

Top Bottom