Is it worth buying an "old" Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Can someone tell me what the advantage is of the longer wheelbase?

- the frame does not break around the hinge :ohmy:
- if you are a taller person you might feel less cramped on the 3cm longer wheelbase
- other than that quality has gone up massively in many aspects and compontents since the MK2 (but this has nothing to do with the short vs. long frame).

Am intrigued, since they kept the old one for so long.

The change happened, as far as I know, due to a change in production - they invented a machine that could braze in the hinges semiautomatically. For that they created new hinges and this resulted in a longer wheelbase. So it was not a problem with the old version but just due to a more effective and qualitatively stringent production that the frame was changed. On the stem the new hinge along with automation was already intvented in 2000 with the MK3, on the main frame with the MK4 in 2004.

No need to change if you are happy with your bike.

Last edited:
Thanks, will keep it. It's a great bike. No signs of it ever breaking any more than an old brit phonebox or postbox. It's the 5 speed one with the rack. Done lots of shopping rides, been up a few mountains, looking forward to using it with my OAP bus pass.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The one thing I'd consider changing on that bike would be the 5 speed hub. They're very draggy in low gear. A 3 speed gives similar range and is very efficient. Still, if it's well run-in, your 5 speed will be smoother than when it was new and they do last indefinitely. Is it one that needs a drop of oil occasionally or one of the latee "greased for life*" ones?

*12 months according to the instructions, then must be stripped and serviced! The oiled ones nevee need to be opened up as they have total loss lubrication.

Change the hub, is that all :smile:
Have never done anything to it though did have it serviced once by the much missed bicycle workshop of Notting Hill.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can usually just swap the internals over and, of course, fit a 3-speed shifter. Most (but not all) SA hub shells are interchangeable.

I appreciate your knowledge but since it works I think I'll stick with it rather than, er, "upgrade" it to a 3 speed.
The 5 speed if course needs no derailleur, unlike the modern 6 speed. It's all in the hub.

Top Bottom