Is it worth reporting dangerous driving to the police - video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dear cyclists who are still learning road craft. Do not ever ride in the gutter as if a car wants to push past you you are then trapped with nowhere to go and thus can easily lead to serious injury.

If a car behind you makes you feel threatened either hold primary to enforce a safer overtake or come to a stop and get off the road to let the car pass. Moving into the gutter will enable the car behind to overtake you even with oncoming traffic. When trapped any slight cause for deviation (pothole, rubbish in the gutter) will mean you either hit the kerb or the car. Hitting the kerb at an angle at speed will likely cause you to come off. This needn't be the case if you follow either of the two options above.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I could let it go, if I wanted to. I won't though because you have not yet acknowledged that you were offering dangerous nonsense as advice. Even now you are embellishing it with a new element of the vehicle being oncoming in your advice, something that you never mentioned before and which contradicts the post about a big black car nearly touching your rear wheel just the other day.
If you want to move on, fine. Acknowledge your error.

I think you're confusing General Cycling Discussions with SC&P. You know. The one where they talk bollocks for ages trying to out do each other. I can't be bothered to keep explaining about previous posts. I've noticed you were up posting your latest obsessional post to me at 6.40. I bet you dived to the computer to rant as soon as you woke up.:laugh:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod note:
Stop.

Accy - your advice could easily have been read to mean 'ride in the gutter', and continuing to go on about it does not change the fact that readers of your first posts on this in another thread could have gone away with very bad advice indeed. YOU let it go now.

Anyone else still arguing about it - please do not carry over arguments from one thread into another. (OK, this one is on the same overall topic as the other one, but that request still stands). You, too, let it go now.

boydj

Legendary Member
@Drago has it right. By sitting next to the kerb at the lights you are lining up the cars for dodgy overtakes. You need to stop in the middle of the lane. On that particular stretch the lanes are not wide enough for cars to overtake a bike without going into the second lane, so a cyclist needs to hold a strong position in the lane to prevent silly overtakes.

Simontm

Veteran
I was amused the other day when an irate driver behind my car started having a go at me because I refused to overtake a cyclist at a pinch point - as you just cross the A3 onto Coombe lane kingston-side for locals.
Ride in primary. Dickheads are dickheads so you have to remove the chance to be a dick from them.

Top Bottom