Is it worth reporting dangerous driving to the police ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossw46

Hi all,

I had a large van overtake me so close by that is has shaken me up a little the past few rides. I have it on a helmet cam, would the Police do anything about it ? If they would, how do I report it ?

I'd post the clip but I need to find some sort of editing software as my camera records in approx 1 hour long HD clips, anyone have any recommendations ?

This selfish tw~t could easily have killed me for the sake of waiting a few seconds, really pisses me off. I guess I could have been in a more primary position, but I've not had someone this close before.

Ross

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yes it is. You probably won't get a prosecution, but the driver may get a visit and the incident logged and their vehicle noted. If you can identify the firm, then a letter or email to the company is well worth doing as well.

the police might not do anything, but it should be on record against the van that someone has complained so if it happens in the future / someone looks into the driver's conduct on the road for some reason in the future there is 'previous' as it were.

They may go have a word, given the week my friend waited with CCTV footage of her motorbike being stolen for the police to come…
unfortunately this is due to funds.

any company markings on the van? Might be a better result contacting the company politely saying you're disappointed in the standard of driving from their employees, are a bit shaken up by it and hope they could pass on the message to give cyclists room on the road.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Are you alive? --> No, there's no point reporting to plod.
Are you dead? --> You can't report the incident to plod. You're dead. However, rest assured that plod are directing traffic around your body.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you're thinking of reporting it and using the footage, make an unedited copy, keeping the origional safe.

Make it clear where on the video the piece appears, saves them searching(if they look).

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Where did this happen? Waltham Abbey isn't too far from London, so if that's where you were, does this help? It might at least give you some guidelines. like:
Roadsafe London said:
Some points to bear in mind regarding video submissions: Videos should be submitted within 48 hours of the event. Footage should be of high quality and include at least two minutes before and two minutes after any incident.
or
Roadsafe London said:
Videos should not be edited in any way. They must not rely on a perception of distance such as a close pass as the apparent distance will vary according to the type camera and settings. There are other issues with video evidence, such as parallax error, which makes objects appear close together when they are seen in line.
Anyway, the driver probably can't get it up, or has piles, or maybe both.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This selfish tw~t could easily have killed me for the sake of waiting a few seconds, really pisses me off. I guess I could have been in a more primary position, but I've not had someone this close before.

Ross[/QUOTE]
Some of these gits are so evil they'd mow you down if you took primary. Sometimes it's best to hug the kerb and let the self-gratification artists pass by.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Have an independent person review your video. Judging by what is posted on here sometimes, although you may have been shaken up and terrified, the pass may not have been as close as you think

Some of these gits are so evil they'd mow you down if you took primary. Sometimes it's best to hug the kerb and let the self-gratification artists pass by.
Despite cycling on some of the busiest roads in SE London, I've still not been mown down. Although it does unfortunately happen, it doesn't happen enough to recommend that we all go hurrying to hide in the gutter which brings even more dangers and risks than being in primary.

Top Bottom