is mud corrosive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I'm worried. I went for a bike ride today, in the peaks through quite a bit of mud but not exactly a ludicrous swampbath, normal for winter really.
But I got a bit on my camelbak pipe, and got a bit in my mouth. A bit later the mended part of my front tooth which has been fine for nearly 25 years has fallen off. I'm going to have to go to the dentist now to get a new one, god knows how much that will cost.
And my brake pads are down to the metal, they were albeit a year old but i thought there was a good half milllimetre left on them when i set out.
So i'm just wondering, could the mud have corroded the glue joining the ceramic bit onto my tooth, and have corroded my pads faster than normal?
cheers

longers

Legendary Member
Millstone grit makes an excellent grinding paste in these conditions, hence no brake pads left.

Somebody will have a witty answer as to why your teeth are falling out I'm sure ;).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh well don't forget about Wiles (weils) disease as well if out in the country - more to worry about than if grit and sh!t is corrosive ! ;)

Abitrary

bonj said:
But I got a bit on my camelbak pipe, and got a bit in my mouth. A bit later the mended part of my front tooth which has been fine for nearly 25 years has fallen off.

I reckon you might have accidentally chewed the camelbak pipe whilst doing a stressful move. A bit like when fillings come out when chewing gum.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:
Arch might anxiously ask whether your eyesight is failing too. ;)
only due to mud flyingup and hitting me in the eye... and no before you say mudguards AREN'T the answer. A crudcatcher might be, but they only have limited effectiveness. I find squinting worked quite well actually, as your eyelashes are catching the mud before it actually hits the eyeball, and there's less area of eyeball exposed.

bonj said:
only due to mud flyingup and hitting me in the eye... and no before you say mudguards AREN'T the answer. A crudcatcher might be, but they only have limited effectiveness. I find squinting worked quite well actually, as your eyelashes are catching the mud before it actually hits the eyeball, and there's less area of eyeball exposed.
Yes, full length mudguards are much more effective. ;)

Bonj said:
A bit later the mended part of my front tooth which has been fine for nearly 25 years has fallen off.
Hang one. Fine for 25 years? You're only 30 man, have you still got your milk teeth?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

I knocked it off by kneeling on the front of a chair with my hands on the back and rocking it, and it came forward fast and twatted me.
That was when i was about 5 or 6. well alright 23/24 years then.
milk teeth fall out and proper teeth grow at 3/4.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Yes, full length mudguards are much more effective. ;)

Hang one. Fine for 25 years? You're only 30 man, have you still got your milk teeth?

but full length mudguards aren't for MTBs, and there's not enough mud on the road to warrant them. So they're neither use nor ornament really. Well, they might be ornament but they're certainly not use.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
'Fraid this confirms my view that MtB's are dangerous.:?:

I've heard of all sorts of bones being broken, concussions etc before but can now add tooth rot and blindness to the list.;)

Maybe that's why the laundry bills are so high in MtB circles;)

Dave5N

Über Member
bonj said:
I knocked it off by kneeling on the front of a chair with my hands on the back and rocking it, and it came forward fast and twatted me.
That was when i was about 5 or 6. well alright 23/24 years then.
milk teeth fall out and proper teeth grow at 3/4.

Nope. Is there any subject you can't be wrong on? :rolleyes:

Abitrary

Dave5N said:
Nope. Is there any subject you can't be wrong on? :rolleyes:

My milk teeth had all gone by then. They don't all fall out at the same moment btw, they can last for years longer

Top Bottom