Is my computer farked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did you find that windows 10 was actually an upgrade?

Got an old (more than 15 years) pc in the loft running an amd athlon xp2600+ chipset with 768mb ram and that would still run a printer and basic things (like command and conquer generals) on Windows xp.

I'd say unless there's faults it's not the age of your hardware.. Clogged up registry and fragmented hard drive and all the clogging up standard parts (bloat ware almost) of windows turned on etc.. Just look up ways to make computer/windows run faster

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did you find that windows 10 was actually an upgrade?

Got an old (more than 15 years) pc in the loft running an amd athlon xp2600+ chipset with 768mb ram and that would still run a printer and basic things (like command and conquer generals) on Windows xp.

I'd say unless there's faults it's not the age of your hardware.. Clogged up registry and fragmented hard drive and all the clogging up standard parts (bloat ware almost) of windows turned on etc.. Just look up ways to make computer/windows run faster
Defragged the HDD, cleaned the registery .

Printer did work in the past its just gone funny recently

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Need more information. What processor are you running?

It might be that your system is incompatible with Windows 10 but it just installed anyway because of free upgrade

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Nothing out of the ordinary , about 2 .5 gb of ram free

And when you run the programs and it freezes?

Spoons47

Sounds to me like windows is corrupted, it happens with “10” especially if it’s an upgrade. Safest bet is whip out hard drive, you can get a new decent laptop for £250 and copy docs and all your photos over.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sounds to me like windows is corrupted, it happens with “10” especially if it’s an upgrade. Safest bet is whip out hard drive, you can get a new decent laptop for £250 and copy docs and all your photos over.
I have a laptop , currently mine .The PC is just in my lads room but TBH he rarely uses it but i will need to get something soon for home work etc so i was thinking something like a chrome book for me as all i tend to do is web browsing and online shopping so the lad could have my current laptop which a HP jobbie with 8 gb ram and a 2 TB HDD

mm

My Windows 8 laptop refused to update to 10 because of a Microsoft licence screw up on a totally legit copy. Best thing that ever happened to me. Got a Chromebook for £170. If the problem all gets too much cybernight I'd be tempted to go the same way. You can do most things on a Chromebook - in fact I haven't found mine a limitation at all. Recently picked up a new second smaller chromebook for less than £100 - both are synced to each other. Both together cost substantially less than a new PC would have cost. And I am spared forever Windows update nailbiting.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If they fail then try homeopathy , they share they same degree of efficacy

OP
Have you tried a good malware remover , eg Malwarebytes ?
You shroud be able to do a OS reset from within Windows or better with a recovery disk https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/create-windows-10-recovery-disk-4348.html
Or best of all , if you have the confidence, then a completely clean install on a formatted drive

Seems unnecessarily snotty to me...I was only trying to help.

You may be right. But this morning's scan has, eg, reported:

upload_2018-8-15_9-49-2.png

Doesn't strike me as particularly 'homeopathic'. Unless it's BS, which I don't believe it is, it's just about to, among other things, free up almost a Gb of space on my HD. Other things being equal, seems to me that's worthwhile. And this is in the fortnight or so since I last ran it. How about if nothing comparable had been done for, say, three years? I've nothing against Malwarebytes - I use it myself every now & again. But this is the one I've been using on my family's computers for five years now, and they all run nice & smooth, with no problems like those reported in the OP. Given that it's free, and there's no downside, and it's a bloody sight easier and quicker than 'doing a OS reset from within Windows or better with a recovery disk', then I would've said it was worth a try. If the OP doesn't want to, fine.

Top Bottom