Is my computer farked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have gone over a few times and just get a polite email and charged an extra quid ink is still sent in good time.
I'd go over the limit in one evening. That's how I found out about the limit.

classic33

Leg End Member
It does sound like your machine is in a bit of a mess ...

I suspect something is eating up your ram (memory) causing it have to using the swap file (on the HDD) constantly which will slow your machine down and may be causing time outs with your printer etc. That could be many things (as ever) but could be due to malware you should definitely try Malwarebytes, it has a very functional free version. As has been said before check task manager to see what is using a lot of memory and look at the start up tab and check how much is being pre loaded and if anything looks suspicious. TBH 4Gb really isnt enough to run Win10 effectively but that's a problem for another day.

The printer may be also failing to print due to a corrupted queue , this link will step you through how to clear that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/c01abbe3-bb32-4ef1-9b40-5a24bb3dc8b7

You can reset Windows to several levels using the recovery app https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026528/windows-reset-or-reinstall-windows-10 , Id go straight to a full reset myself but that could take you a while to get all your programs back on there again so look at the options and take your pick.

If this doesn't work I'd make a windows a fresh Windows 10 installation DVD or usb and start with a nice clean installation and get up to date drivers etrc https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If I was still selling I'd advise you to buy a more up to day machine lol
Replacing something that may not be the problem isn't the answer.

The print queue should keep a list of anything sent to it. I've two documents, over a year old, waiting to be printed. They're still in the print queue. The OP's can't keep anything in the print queue. I'd say the problem lies with something else than the printer itself.

Replace that and you stand a good chance of replicating the problem with another printer, leaving you wondering what's wrong.

classic33

Leg End Member
Run MSCONFIG and see whats running at start up. Stop anything you don't need running. You can still start them when needed.

Scanner had six seperate programs running, printer had eight/nine, on mine.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What security do you have running, if any ?
windows defender + firewall
malwarebytes
ccleaner
another malware scanner which i forget the name
scannned it with rkill

U

User6179

windows defender + firewall
malwarebytes
ccleaner
another malware scanner which i forget the name
scannned it with rkill

Have you tried closing down internet connection and turning all the protection off to see if that speeds things up?

Top Bottom