Is my computer farked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ancient desktop residing in sons room.
Will start up ok but if you attempt to run programs half the time it starts to load them and that's as far as it gets, same with printing as it shows up on the print queue and the printer jiggles the paper about as if its about to print then loses the information and doesn't do anything .
win 10 all updated
4 gig ram
2 gig gfx card
300 gig hd not even half full

Run diagnostics and it says everything is fine

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In task manager what processes are using the majority of CPU and Memory.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is the print queue empty, as in there's unfinished work waiting to be completed.

If there's anything in it, just delete everything in the queue.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Seriously tho', if it's old and has never been given a wash 'n brush up, it's probably cluttered up with leftover registry fragments and all sorts of crap. I'd try downloading this, running it, and letting it do its thing. Then see how the land lies. (Might be worth giving this a spin too.)

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Seriously tho', if it's old and has never been given a wash 'n brush up, it's probably cluttered up with leftover registry fragments and all sorts of crap. I'd try downloading this, running it, and letting it do its thing. Then see how the land lies. (Might be worth giving this a spin too.)

If they fail then try homeopathy , they share they same degree of efficacy

OP
Have you tried a good malware remover , eg Malwarebytes ?
You shroud be able to do a OS reset from within Windows or better with a recovery disk https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/create-windows-10-recovery-disk-4348.html
Or best of all , if you have the confidence, then a completely clean install on a formatted drive

U

User6179

On the printer issue, possibly no drivers that work for the printer (if old) running on windows 10.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Is the print queue empty, as in there's unfinished work waiting to be completed.

If there's anything in it, just delete everything in the queue.
Nothing else in the print queue and it loses the one its supposed to be doing

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

If they fail then try homeopathy , they share they same degree of efficacy

OP
Have you tried a good malware remover , eg Malwarebytes ?
You shroud be able to do a OS reset from within Windows or better with a recovery disk https://www.backup-utility.com/windows-10/create-windows-10-recovery-disk-4348.html
Or best of all , if you have the confidence, then a completely clean install on a formatted drive
It would be hard as its been updated incrementally from XP and no idea if i still have the old disks

Top Bottom