Is my computer farked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Seems unnecessarily snotty to me...I was only trying to help.

You may be right. But this morning's scan has, eg, reported:

View attachment 424564

Doesn't strike me as particularly 'homeopathic'. Unless it's BS, which I don't believe it is, it's just about to, among other things, free up almost a Gb of space on my HD. Other things being equal, seems to me that's worthwhile. And this is in the fortnight or so since I last ran it. How about if nothing comparable had been done for, say, three years? I've nothing against Malwarebytes - I use it myself every now & again. But this is the one I've been using on my family's computers for five years now, and they all run nice & smooth, with no problems like those reported in the OP. Given that it's free, and there's no downside, and it's a bloody sight easier and quicker than 'doing a OS reset from within Windows or better with a recovery disk', then I would've said it was worth a try. If the OP doesn't want to, fine.

That kind of thing is famous in IT circles for being useless at best and a total pain to recover from their shenanigans at worst. The make it look like they are doing amazing things but just often just run the built in services from scripts. It's much better to learn how to use the OS's built in services yourself .

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That kind of thing is famous in IT circles for being useless at best and a total pain to recover from their shenanigans at worst. The make it look like they are doing amazing things but just often just run the built in services from scripts. It's much better to learn how to use the OS's built in services yourself .
Yeah well, neither I nor - by the sounds of it - the OP are 'in IT circles', and learning 'how to use the OS's built in services' is techier than I or - by the sounds of it - the OP are really interested in exploring. I say again, it's quick, it's easy, it's free, and what's the downside? 'Shenanigans'? I've been using it on multiple computers for upwards of five years and I've never encountered any. Sneery comments just dissuade people from trying options that might help them and certainly won't harm. Personally I don't think that's helpful.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Yeah well, neither I nor - by the sounds of it - the OP are 'in IT circles', and learning 'how to use the OS's built in services' is techier than I or - by the sounds of it - the OP are really interested in exploring. I say again, it's quick, it's easy, it's free, and what's the downside? 'Shenanigans'? I've been using it on multiple computers for upwards of five years and I've never encountered any. Sneery comments just dissuade people from trying options that might help them and certainly won't harm. Personally I don't think that's helpful.

I've built and run hundreds of computers over the years and those free tune up programs have earned me loads of money removing them and fixing the mess they leave. Being wrong for 5 years doesn't make you right.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've built and run hundreds of computers over the years and those free tune up programs have earned me loads of money removing them and fixing the mess they leave. Being wrong for 5 years doesn't make you right.
In other words, you know naff all about this program, only about 'those' programs - of which this presumably isn't one, since they entail 'shenanigans', which this one doesn't. But hey, what would I know about it compared to you? I've only been actually using it for five years.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
In other words, you know naff all about this program, only about 'those' programs - of which this presumably isn't one, since they entail 'shenanigans', which this one doesn't. But hey, what would I know about it compared to you? I've only been actually using it for five years.

Go on then tell me what it does, how it does it , how efficient in comparison with the all ready free stuff in your OS, How secure it is and how your 5 years beats my 30 odd and I'll be prepared to learn something.

classic33

Leg End Member
What help is arguing over a piece of software in getting the problem sorted.

People use different stuff, that they like using, to help find the problem.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Go on then tell me what it does, how it does it , how efficient in comparison with the all ready free stuff in your OS, How secure it is and how your 5 years beats my 30 odd and I'll be prepared to learn something.
Oh run along and play with your mouse, there's a good fellow.

Spoons47

I have a laptop , currently mine .The PC is just in my lads room but TBH he rarely uses it but i will need to get something soon for home work etc so i was thinking something like a chrome book for me as all i tend to do is web browsing and online shopping so the lad could have my current laptop which a HP jobbie with 8 gb ram and a 2 TB HDD

Cyber knight. You started the thread and have made the best post so fat IMHO. Give your lad the laptop get yourself an iPad and a new wireless printer made by HP, Their ink deals are amazing. I’m an ex computer geek who also used to make some beer money by cleaning up computers. Believe me yours is ready for the dump.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
HDD is running at 100 % as soon as i try to run anything , currently doing a reset of the OS in a hope it will help anyway .

It does sound like your machine is in a bit of a mess ...

I suspect something is eating up your ram (memory) causing it have to using the swap file (on the HDD) constantly which will slow your machine down and may be causing time outs with your printer etc. That could be many things (as ever) but could be due to malware you should definitely try Malwarebytes, it has a very functional free version. As has been said before check task manager to see what is using a lot of memory and look at the start up tab and check how much is being pre loaded and if anything looks suspicious. TBH 4Gb really isnt enough to run Win10 effectively but that's a problem for another day.

The printer may be also failing to print due to a corrupted queue , this link will step you through how to clear that https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/c01abbe3-bb32-4ef1-9b40-5a24bb3dc8b7

You can reset Windows to several levels using the recovery app https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026528/windows-reset-or-reinstall-windows-10 , Id go straight to a full reset myself but that could take you a while to get all your programs back on there again so look at the options and take your pick.

If this doesn't work I'd make a windows a fresh Windows 10 installation DVD or usb and start with a nice clean installation and get up to date drivers etrc https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If I was still selling I'd advise you to buy a more up to day machine lol

classic33

Leg End Member
HP INK DEALS. 50 pages per month (b&w or colour). It knows when your nearly out of ink and posts it to you. £1.99 pm. It’s a no brainer!!
Little known fact on that. You've a limit to how often you can order in one calendar month. Exceed the limit and you're removed from the scheme.

Top Bottom