Is my frame ruined?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark22

Ive been riding like this for ages, didnt notice a difference as the disc brake lined up and gears seemed good somehow. Now i got a puncture and cant get the wheel off. The silver bit looks separate and the bent bit, is it a replaceable part or bendable.

Bike is a 2011 boardman hybrid pro

Attachments

• 16808108570777372813155042180236.jpg
    16808108570777372813155042180236.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 15

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
More information / explicit pics would probably help..

From that pic - your nut has come loose and the axle has bent ? If you bend it back it might snap at a later point.

Take it into the bike shop and they'll replace that for you - they might need to saw it off to let them pull it out the other side.

You can just take the tube out of the tyre and repair it without taking the wheel off if you have to.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
I’d like to see some better pictures before I condemned the poor thing but the axel is out of the drop out, so the opposite side drop out is likely bent. It might be a fight to get the wheel out but if you remove all the axel hardware and perhaps the derailleur you should be able to see what is bent and how to get the wheel free. If the drop out is bent a little its worth trying to straighten it. If the hanger is bent it can be replaced.

Its possible you could unjam things by loosening the hardware and trying to reseat the wheel into place.

Looks like no more than a one beer job, two if you over think it.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hard to tell from the pic. Maybe the dropout hanger is bent, could be the axle. But i wouldn't have thought that the bike is condemned in any case. You'll need to have it/inspect it further. The dropout hangers can be brought and replaced and look similar to these.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

You'll need a replacement for your frame.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You'll need a replacement for your frame.

By which I assume you mean "you'll need a replacement hanger that is specifically for your frame"

I only mention it because an alternative interpretation could be "you'll need a replacement frame" which would be a rather drastic answer to the OP

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
By which I assume you mean "you'll need a replacement hanger that is specifically for your frame"

I only mention it because an alternative interpretation could be "you'll need a replacement frame" which would be a rather drastic answer to the OP

I would hope that the giant picture of a hanger would alay any confusion but if there was any doubt then I'm glad you have removed that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Doesn’t this model come with qr skewers? What prompted the change to solid axles? Axle looks bent but doesn’t mean the frame is ruined, but an axle is going to take quite a bash before bending. Should come out with a bit of persuasion, then you can ascertain the extent of damage if any.
I look forward to your hearing about your progress.

Ajax Bay

Guru
is that the original wheel set ?
review pictures of the bike show a quick release axle
Who knows? I started to mention skewers and then looked at that nut and decided to wait till we had an image of the left side (with bike the correct way up). I can recognise possible ambiguity when I see it, unlike some others :laugh:
who can make the implausible, possible. @HMS_Dave was generously helping.
Looking further at that image I wonder if whoever has put a dome nut on the end of a solid axle and (of course) cannot tighten the nut/washer against the drop out. Maybe other side too :rolleyes:
For the OP (their first post in 8 years lurking): no, your frame is not 'ruined'. You might find the 'taking the rear wheel out' evolution a darn sight easier if you kept the bike upright.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark22

Its cool guys i had the nuts loose, ahem, now i know what a dropout hanger is I've taken the derailleur off and theres two little screws to remove it. Unfortunately they undo from the inside and the bent hanger is stopping the wheel coming out. Considering trying to lever the hanger out a bit to get the wheel lose.

Also well noticed its had an electric conversion so different axle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That explains the nutted solid axle.
You can use a adjustable spanner opened so it just fits over the hanger to straighten it. Remove the derailleur first of course.
The hanger is there to 'save' the frame in the event of accident.

Last edited:
Top Bottom