Is my frame ruined?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mark22

That explains the nutted solid axle.
You can use a adjustable spanner opened so it just fits over the hanger to straighten it. Remove the derailleur first of course.
The hanger is there to 'save' the frame in the event of accident.

Thank you, it seems it did just that, i guess its just a bit weaker than that part of the frame to take the hit. I assume all that bit of frame is pretty solid

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Might be worth taking a few measurements of the rear traingle once to get it stripped down to check for alignment, you can also 'sight' it.
Really depends where it got hit and how hard it how it got bent.

OP
OP
M

Mark22

Ok got the wheel back on nice and straight, lined up disc brake. Only eyeballed straightening the dropout hanger but gonna clean up the chain and derailleur before putting them back on so no idea how it will be. Lot straighter than it was so thanks you guys. Of it's not great I'll buy a new one and get someone properly align it.

Attachments

• 20230410_201928.jpg
    20230410_201928.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2

All uphill

Still rolling along
Ok got the wheel back on nice and straight, lined up disc brake. Only eyeballed straightening the dropout hanger but gonna clean up the chain and derailleur before putting them back on so no idea how it will be. Lot straighter than it was so thanks you guys. Of it's not great I'll buy a new one and get someone properly align it.

Im glad.
Good idea to get a new one anyway; the old one will have been weakened by the original bash it got, and by the straightening out.

OP
OP
M

Mark22

Im glad.
Good idea to get a new one anyway; the old one will have been weakened by the original bash it got, and by the straightening out.

If anyone was wondering the wheel wouldn't come out as the axle had slightly twisted, well not twisted but turned in the dropout, so I just needed to take a nut off and use a spanner on the two flat bits of the axle to pull it back round. It took no effort at all considering how much the damn thing seemed stuck in there.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Only eyeballed straightening the dropout hanger but gonna clean up the chain and derailleur before putting them back on so no idea how it will be. Lot straighter than it was so thanks you guys. Of it's not great I'll buy a new one and get someone properly align it.

Get the hanger as straight (vertical) as possible by eye (better by other means - search on here) before refitting the RD.
If it was bent much then as said, procure a new one and replace at an early opportunity.

OP
OP
M

Mark22

You might need to fit a torque arm to stop the axle turning and destroying the dropouts.

Because of the electric rear axle?, this damage wasnt casued by that by i think wile ive got bits off I will fit at least one. Been electric a while and this bike seems pretty strong. Except when the front light battery has gone and the infinitely wise council think no street lights help.

OP
OP
M

Mark22

Ive got a torque arm now, is there any particular side is better or just Where's easiest. Also the torque goes counterclockwise so id have the arm going up the triangle? Sorry for all the questions, never delved into the rear end so much.

OP
OP
M

Mark22

Nope i think im wrong on the torque arm, wheel spins counter clockwise so you want to hold it from the bottom of the triangle to pull against the push of the axle on frame?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Also the torque goes counterclockwise so id have the arm going up the triangle? Sorry for all the questions, never delved into the rear end so much.
Ohhh. Matron!
Doesn't really matter, anywhere that's easy to fix. The aim is to stop the axle turning so you'll have to put a flat on the axle (angle grinder?) and transfer that profile onto that end of the torque arm. Or did your torque arm come with an axle?
There's a few videos on YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/wv8NwCOZi_w

OP
OP
M

Mark22

20230413_183442.jpg
yeah kind of ruined the thread with the spanner but a née one is best while I'm at it.

Top Bottom