Is Philosophy Still A Thing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Philosophy knows no bounds, know not what it is, but what it was.

There, does that answer the question? ^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I hope your cook isn't religious. When it comes to food, Papal Bull is better than a Diet of Worms.

Flat rice noodles..

Which are a bit wormlike - on reflection:ohmy:

And mixed stir fried veg, with lots of seeds, and mushrooms :smile:

Not a religious cook, but definitely an philosophical one.

We're on time machines, and visiting Ancient Egypt right now ..

I'll let you know if we get anywhere.:okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Flat rice noodles..

Which are a bit wormlike - on reflection:ohmy:

And mixed stir fried veg, with lots of seeds, and mushrooms :smile:

Not a religious cook, but definitely an philosophical one.

We're on time machines, and visiting Ancient Egypt right now ..

I'll let you know if we get anywhere.:okay:

We're onto the nature of language, and ancient subSaharan civilisation now :okay:

Rocky

Hello decadence
One of my favourite philosophers is Hannah Arendt. Her book on The Origins of Totalitarianism helps to explain much of what is going on in the post truth populist world of today. This little quote from that book seems pretty relevant today:

In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
One of my favourite philosophers is Hannah Arendt. Her book on The Origins of Totalitarianism helps to explain much of what is going on in the post truth populist world of today. This little quote from that book seems pretty relevant today:

In an ever-changing, incomprehensible world the masses had reached the point where they would, at the same time, believe everything and nothing, think that everything was possible and that nothing was true. ... Mass propaganda discovered that its audience was ready at all times to believe the worst, no matter how absurd, and did not particularly object to being deceived because it held every statement to be a lie anyhow. The totalitarian mass leaders based their propaganda on the correct psychological assumption that, under such conditions, one could make people believe the most fantastic statements one day, and trust that if the next day they were given irrefutable proof of their falsehood, they would take refuge in cynicism; instead of deserting the leaders who had lied to them, they would protest that they had known all along that the statement was a lie and would admire the leaders for their superior tactical cleverness.

Basically that occupying a place of lazy cynicism is somehow the cool, and or 'clever' place to be.

But in truth it's just plain lazy...

Rocky

Hello decadence
Basically that occupying a place of lazy cynicism is somehow the cool, and or 'clever' place to be.

But in truth it's just plain lazy...
I agree - of course she's mainly referring to what she calls the mob, a group who seem disconnected from society, not belonging, and perpetually angry. This mob can be manipulated and complicit when bad things are happening.

I find Arendt's analysis really scary. The parallels with today should act as a warning.......but somehow they don't.

Punkawallah

Über Member
There are often questions about philosophers on University Challenge, many from ancient times, many from 18th and 19th centuries, a few from the 20th century. But they seem to stop around the 1960’s. Outside of quiz shows and history programmes I have never heard them mentioned. From time to time we hear reports in the news of advances in all sorts of highly academic subjects, physics, maths, sometimes history, but never anything, I stand to be corrected, about philosophy. Do philosophers still exist now ? And in what way does their work contribute to modern life ?

Prof.Peterson might qualify? He seems to be an advocate of personal responsibility, and champions free speech over restricted.

There are philosophers and there are philosophers. Philosophy is lot more structured and coherent but unfortunately rather abstract for most of us.

Spouting words of wisdom is not philosophy neither does it make one a philosopher. Then we have shamans to the likes of motivational speakers who peddle their trade not because they have a logical construct but know what people want to hear.

Philosophy also has little to do with various schism of politics or political thought. The Greeks best understood philosophy having nurtured it. And they separated philosophy and politics.

It is not a surprise that genuine philosophers are few and far between thruout our history.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along

That is an amazing book. Every page seems to be thought-provoking. Definitely a one page per day book, for me!

I really liked her definition of totalitarian; not just a social structure that controls your actions, but also controls your thoughts. (My interpretation).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
May I be so bold as to enquire: what kind of mushrooms?

You may indeed, be so bold.

But i'll have to be equally bold and go and enquire of the chef - they were just presented to me and i scoffed them down, whilst we philosophised.

i realise now - how very rude - or at least inattentive of me, that actually was..

I did say

"Thank you very much for a yummy lunch"

So hopefully we're still on good terms.

It may be a while though, as I'm getting deeper into the details of holiday preparations -

Bath time, and "la di da" toenail painting !!

I'm even thinking a different colour on each nail perhaps ??-

I mean its not even likely that anyone impressionable, is going to see them - but i'll know they're there.

:girl:

Top Bottom