Is riding on unlight country roads at night suicide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hang about! Which Georgia are we discussing, the country or the US state?
If the latter, I'd definitely be more concerned about the "not so good ole boys".:eek:

yep middle to southern state georgia.
While use lights and noise. Will also use senses to determine when not so good ole boys may see me as a victim. Will listen for quick hard stops turns, noise, etc. and make it into the woods with lights off and night vision on.

Badgers...

This is a major reason I don't ride at night. Around here there are loads of badgers (up to five in my garden) and if I'm going downhill at 30mph and one jumps out it's going to end badly for me

I am guessing lights night vision and gun.

Hang about! Which Georgia are we discussing, the country or the US state?
If the latter, I'd definitely be more concerned about the "not so good ole boys".:eek:

I thought I did reply. Georgia state of. Yep, not so good ole boys may be a problem also. Will listen for quick turns, sharps sounds, not so good voices, turn off lights, make it into the woods, with lights off and night vision. Thinking will have to prepare with gun for both animals and those not so good ole boys, but just to protect me and bicycle, not the rest.

classic33

Leg End Member
yep middle to southern state georgia.
While use lights and noise. Will also use senses to determine when not so good ole boys may see me as a victim. Will listen for quick hard stops turns, noise, etc. and make it into the woods with lights off and night vision on.
You'll be looking at 20-30 minutes for normal vision to return once you turn your lights out. Night vision 30 minutes upward, before you start getting anything that resembles "night vision".

You'll be looking at 20-30 minutes for normal vision to return once you turn your lights out. Night vision 30 minutes upward, before you start getting anything that resembles "night vision".

wonder if that is with latest gear? Wondering also with lights heading away from me and not in my face will alter that time? I guess I will have to try to put together my preparations as wisely as possible.

Solocle

Über Member
I tend to move to main roads late at night.

Less chance of a wheel eating pothole, still low enough traffic for comfort (and better sight lines).
D02755B2-625C-48E6-8607-98B05C6AF292.jpeg

F0104CE8-DD27-4B5F-87DB-AAF20F8EFA71.jpeg

Your mileage may vary

Alex321

Veteran
wonder if that is with latest gear? Wondering also with lights heading away from me and not in my face will alter that time? I guess I will have to try to put together my preparations as wisely as possible.

"Latest gear" makes no difference - it is your eyes & brain that are decisive. No "better" lights can alter that.

It will make a difference just how bright the lights are - and obviously, pointing away from you appears less bright to you than ones shining in your face, but the above advice was based on having lights bright enough to enable you to see what you are riding on well enough to actually ride it safely.

But TBH, if having to douse your lights and hide off the road is an actual concern with a significant possibility, then I wouldn't be riding alone there anyhow. But fortunately, we really don't have much to worry about that way here in the UK.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
"Latest gear" makes no difference - it is your eyes & brain that are decisive. No "better" lights can alter that.

It will make a difference just how bright the lights are - and obviously, pointing away from you appears less bright to you than ones shining in your face, but the above advice was based on having lights bright enough to enable you to see what you are riding on well enough to actually ride it safely.

But TBH, if having to douse your lights and hide off the road is an actual concern with a significant possibility, then I wouldn't be riding alone there anyhow. But fortunately, we really don't have much to worry about that way here in the UK.

I think he means actual night vision...
Nightvision.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
You are probably right. He was responding to the post from Classic33, but reading back, I think that post was misunderstanding what the OP had previously said. :wacko::wacko:
Not misunderstood, just think the two threads are complete windups, at present.

If night vision goggle had been mentioned by me, what would he have upped it to?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Not misunderstood, just think the two threads are complete windups, at present.

If night vision goggle had been mentioned by me, what would he have upped it to?

Glad it's not just me who thinks threads are wind-ups...

Preying on the good folk of CC and their helpful suggestions

Ps I like riding at night in the rural area I live, can see a lot more when a full moon, the ride seems different - often feels faster, but always slower on Strava and feels longer, doing regular routes helps with dodging potholes

Top Bottom