Is riding on unlight country roads at night suicide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
20220831_051445.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The biggest danger here is the wannabe rally drivers.

That's my biggest fear on the unlit lanes at night. Almost got taken out a few years back by some wally taking the racing line.

tyred

Legendary Member
That's my biggest fear on the unlit lanes at night. Almost got taken out a few years back by some wally taking the racing line.

It's not the problem it once was but there is a culture here of young people acting the idiot on minor roads in old scrap cars, number plates removed and just dump them if anything goes wrong.

Nowadays they seem to have more money and use things like Ford Sierras, Opel Omegas, Lexus IS200s, BMWs or any other old rear wheel drive car for drifting, donuts and burnouts and some practice on public roads. Not usual to find all the skid marks and black circles at junctions. Even saw someone acting the idiot in an E21 BMW and they are very pricey these days.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Hell no, the glare of headlamps and the noise of an engine (particularly if being thrashed) are really very obvious when you're alone on a silent, dark lane. If you do feel at risk, you can adjust your line & speed, or can even find a place to stop.

MontyVeda

Hell no, the glare of headlamps and the noise of an engine (particularly if being thrashed) are really very obvious when you're alone on a silent, dark lane. If you do feel at risk, you can adjust your line & speed, or can even find a place to stop.

not on the incident I mentioned... it was only* the driver noticing me that avoided me being hit.

*of course i could have not gone out on the bike

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
its the noises in the hedgerows that give me the heebie jeebies, particularly on one stretch where im slogging uphill next to woodland and theirs crashing in the undergrowth .

That’ll be the Jabberwocky, you really don’t want to meet them at night.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I remember many years ago, our club were riding on the old ironstone railway near Rosedale, Yorkshire on a damp and misty night. Of course we did not have the benefit of super duper modern lighting systems but were using the old style lamps with 2.5 tungsten bulbs. Suddenly we saw a pair of luminous eyes peering at us out of the gloom and were so startled that we all finished up in a pile in the middle of the track. by this time there were several pairs of eyes looking at us. Eventually we plucked up the courage to charge towards them screaming like banshees :bravo::bravo::bravo: and the flock of sheep ran off into the night.

MontyVeda

Sorry to hear that.
Bad interactions with cars can happen day or night, but in the small hours there are almost NO interactions at all. To me, that feels far safer than say, rush hour.

I don't know what you're trying to argue against. I mention 'my' biggest fear when riding country lanes at night which is bourn out of experience. And you, for some reason feel inclined to tell me that I'm wrong. I've cycled a lot in rush hour and I don't feel in danger of some twonk hurtling round a corner on the wrong side of the road because it's never happened to me at rush hour.

Last edited:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
My memorable experiences of night time commuting/training
Front light failure in the pitch black outside an old cemetery shortly after I'd been told it was the scene of a fatal road crash years before (turned out the cable from the battery had corroded)
Cycling downhill at 30+mph and blinded by car lights I hit a pothole and almost lost control. Thankfully I kept it upright but front wheel buckled and busted water bottle and tool bottle. In fairness the car lights were dipped but the brightness meant I couldn't see the road.

Some other observations....on a Cold winters day the roads can freeze up very quickly as the sun goes down. Oh and Fixing punctures in the dark isn't fun - maybe a head torch is one to consider.

Other than those events I do enjoy the quietness of the night time training,

Jody

Stubborn git
It's not the problem it once was but there is a culture here of young people acting the idiot on minor roads in old scrap cars, number plates removed and just dump them if anything goes wrong.

Nowadays they seem to have more money and use things like Ford Sierras, Opel Omegas, Lexus IS200s, BMWs or any other old rear wheel drive car for drifting, donuts and burnouts and some practice on public roads. Not usual to find all the skid marks and black circles at junctions. Even saw someone acting the idiot in an E21 BMW and they are very pricey these days.

Are you in Ireland by any chance?

Top Bottom