Is riding on unlight country roads at night suicide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git

Thought so when you mentioned what cars were being used.

I folllow a facebook group based accross there and looks like you have quite a car scene. Reminiscent of the 90s in England and very much into anything from that era.

Its nice to see the enthusiasm.

As you say though, it has its share of dangerous behaviour just the same as across here.

roley poley

Über Member
I peddle to work to start at some wonky hours of the clock (postie)...the best time is leaving the house at 4.30 to arrive at 5.30.am...It.is almost traffic free... nice ........you hear cars being driven beyond their flight envelope round the estate ...ah......methinks an alternate route on the old single track country lane best right now.....OH this is nice ...a tunnel of hedge and tree in my headlight beam for an extra 10 mins detour...thanks lads in your zooming car i found a nicer way to work....:hello:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
In the middle of a 400k ride.
IMG_20220602_225646133.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't know what you're trying to argue against. I mention 'my' biggest fear when riding country lanes at night which is bourn out of experience. And you, for some reason feel inclined to tell me that I'm wrong. I've cycled a lot in rush hour and I don't feel in danger of some twonk hurtling round a corner on the wrong side of the road because it's never happened to me at rush hour.
My objective was not to dismiss or belittle your experience, or to argue with you, but to give my different perspective if anyone is still considering the safety of riding at night.

It is safe?
Your "no" and my "yes" are both correct, because we are using different criteria to reach an answer.
Other readers will need to do the research and work it out for themselves. Hopefully there are some useful pointers in these pages.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It is safe?
Your "no" and my "yes" are both correct, because we are using different criteria to reach an answer.
Other readers will need to do the research and work it out for themselves. Hopefully there are some useful pointers in these pages.

I didn't say it's not safe. I expressed one of my concerns when riding unlit country lanes at night.

froze

Über Member
There's very little if anything I can add to what everyone has said repeatedly.

You need a pair of good front lights, a handlebar light with about 1,200 lumens or so, though typically you won't need more than 800 lumens unless you have difficulty seeing in the dark, but the extra is in case of rain, if possible find a light with aimed optics; the second light needs to be on the helmet, about 800 lumens running at 400 or so, with a helmet light you can move your head and light up whatever you look at including cars at intersections.

Taillights, one on the helmet and one on the seat bag or seat post, each running at around 250 lumens, one on steady and the other on strobe or flash if where you live it's legal to use a flashing rear light, if not steady is fine.

Then of course you should wear a reflective safety vest, reflective tape added to the helmet, and a reflective leg bands.

There's very little if anything I can add to what everyone has said repeatedly.

You need a pair of good front lights, a handlebar light with about 1,200 lumens or so, though typically you won't need more than 800 lumens unless you have difficulty seeing in the dark, but the extra is in case of rain, if possible find a light with aimed optics; the second light needs to be on the helmet, about 800 lumens running at 400 or so, with a helmet light you can move your head and light up whatever you look at including cars at intersections.

Taillights, one on the helmet and one on the seat bag or seat post, each running at around 250 lumens, one on steady and the other on strobe or flash if where you live it's legal to use a flashing rear light, if not steady is fine.

Then of course you should wear a reflective safety vest, reflective tape added to the helmet, and a reflective leg bands.

Thankfully locally all I need is my regular dynamo lights and... well that's all, now I come to think of it, although the local police apparently get upset if you don't have wheel reflectors, so I make sure I have those.

I've never understood the need for reflectors in wheels; it's not like cars have reflectors down the side as as standard.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Thankfully locally all I need is my regular dynamo lights and... well that's all, now I come to think of it, although the local police apparently get upset if you don't have wheel reflectors, so I make sure I have those.

I've never understood the need for reflectors in wheels; it's not like cars have reflectors down the side as as standard.

Actually, they do. All modern cars have side reflectors, usually on the front wing, amber. They are required on all vehicles manufactured since 1986, with certain exceptions.

Mike_P

Guru
Driving I have seen the benefits of wheel reflectors on bicycles particularly at roundabouts where it has been the those that have caught my attention more than than the front light. One oddity I have noticed also noticed recently is the amount of cyclists during daytime with a lit front light but an unlit rear.

Wheel reflectors are great at junctions - the bike might be side onto a cars headlights - bike lights are often very directional - so very visible from the front or behind - but less so to the side.
I love my reflective trim on the tyres at night - and run some lights on the valve caps that flash - they're great for extra visibility.

Alex321

Veteran
Those aren't reflectors, they are side repeaters for the indicators :rolleyes:

No, side reflectors are required by law. Indicator repeaters are optional.

They can, of course, be designed to be retro-reflective when not illuminated, and so serve both functions - just as the rear lights also serve as the required rear retro-reflectors.

Top Bottom