Is riding on unlight country roads at night suicide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
Those valve lights seem like a good idea

Ones I just looked at have a lot of reviews saying the batteries only last an hour or so - which is hopeless

Seem like a contended for having a self generated power supply - are there any like that?

Well, the energy contained in a 32x700c tyre at 60 psi is 2.85 kJ, or 0.8 Watt-hours.

While a turbine attached to the valve could generate power, it wouldn't be practical.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
ankle bands...their movement is an eye catching feature which indicates a cyclist ..and they keep my pant legs out the chain

Most if not all cycling shoes seen to have reflective patches on the heel. Not actually a legal alternative to pedal reflectors in the UK, but in practice as effective.

Most if not all cycling shoes seen to have reflective patches on the heel. Not actually a legal alternative to pedal reflectors in the UK, but in practice as effective.

I always thought that they might often be more effective
pedals can get splattered by mud but shoes are generally kept cleaner
Also your foot often obscures the pedal reflector but the back of you shoe is pretty much always visible

of course - a proper reflector reflects more light - so there is that!

at the end of the day - I go with both if I can!

Solocle

Über Member
There was Volvo LifePaint
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/latest-effort-from-volvo-life-paint.177146/

Disappeared the same year it appeared.

I used some 3M tape on the frame of my commuter.

IMG_4461 (2).JPG

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Never seen a pair with reflective patches. Are you sure?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No a phrase I expected to hear today

ooooooh - a ring doorbell camera
you should have said!!!
(he said as he dragged his mind out of the gutter)

go on - some of you were also thinking that!!!

completely lost me there, its a ring security camera at the back of the house , taken a couple of weeks ago and you must have a warped mind as i have no idea what your on about .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
reflectives are the way to go . this is a screenshot from my ring at 4.20 am
View attachment 672367

Referring to your post below I had absolutely no idea what you meant by the bit in bold above. Never even occurred to me you were talking about a door bell/security camera or whatever.
completely lost me there, its a ring security camera at the back of the house , taken a couple of weeks ago and you must have a warped mind as i have no idea what your on about .
I got the "joke," I didn't think it funny but the post from ebiker did at least explain you had referred to a door bell or similar. Until that point I hadn't a clue what "ring" you were referencing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom