Is riding on unlight country roads at night suicide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was wondering if was maybe some kind of 007 style spy camera worn on the finger.

Petrichorwheels

Cycling downhill at 30+mph and blinded by car lights I hit a pothole and almost lost control. Thankfully I kept it upright but front wheel buckled and busted water bottle and tool bottle. In fairness the car lights were dipped but the brightness meant I couldn't see the road.

Potholes as much a danger as cars i think, probably a fair bit more, especially on rural downhills. You do definitely need good lights with a proper beam pattern.
Love night riding. Was out at 3.30 in the morning christmas day morn delivering cards for my mum in rural parts. Cars were fine, one driver apologised for stopping in the road - was himself doing a bit of furtive card dropping I think.

Petrichorwheels

The brighter it is, the brighter lights need to be to be seen. So, if its real dark, your lights dont have to be as bright (tail lights) for you to be seen. That said,a good headlight still matters. Potentially much safer to cycle in the dark.

Good advice - despite this some choose to ride in daylight sporting lights brighter than the sun. As you say not much power at all needed at the back, just use 2 or 3. Front decent power but no need to compete with suns, just good beam pattern.

Petrichorwheels

Never understood the riding in full daylight with lights on thing even on long range cycle paths I see it.

Particularly bad on cycling paths of course as if two-way you can get blinded by the nit approaching. My only explanation is that they are showing off/kit-tech bragging/fitting in with their cycling club ethos. Quite often see them sitting for a breather/feed in daylight deep rural parts on full power. Often wonder if their lights will fail on the dark way back (for sure they won't be carrying spare batteries) but then I am of course twisted.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Top Bottom