Is riding on unlight country roads at night suicide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Are you sure it's law to have amber side reflectors after 86?

It's a new one on me.

I was going by these
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/1/made
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/17/made

But re-reading Schedule 1 I'm not so sure. I think an ordinary domestic car may be classed as a "passenger vehicle", as the definition of that (refers to Construction and Use Regulations) is :

passenger vehiclea vehicle constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects.

And Passenger vehicles are excepted from that requirement. When I first read it, I thought passenger vehicles meant buses & minibuses.

tinywheels

Über Member
Wheel reflectors are great at junctions - the bike might be side onto a cars headlights - bike lights are often very directional - so very visible from the front or behind - but less so to the side.
I love my reflective trim on the tyres at night - and run some lights on the valve caps that flash - they're great for extra visibility.

I've got those flashing valve lights, they are very good.

Neilka

It's safe to ride at night, the message is clear. BE SEEN!
Light yourself up. Lights, reflectors, reflective clothing, anything goes. As long as you can be seen.
Most of us drive cars as well as riding bikes and we all see the difference between some donkey riding at night with no lights on a dual carriageway and someone lit up like a Christmas tree!
Who was it that said "Be safe, be seen!"?
Merry Christmas to all 🥳

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A front light and a back light, 50 odd years of cycling in all road situations, no day glo, no helmet, normal clothes, law abiding and never been killed or knocked off. Confidence is everything!

Same here... although i did recently buy one of those 360 reflective rain jackets from Mountain Warehouse; charcoal grey in normal light but quite bright silver when a light hits it. I didn't buy it because it's reflective. I bought it because it was a good 'cycling' fit, on sale and needed a new water resistant overcoat

The problem with "Be safe Be Seen" is that it's used to put pressure on cyclists to wear all kinds of hi viz, and thus absolve motorists of blame for poor driving "He only had two lights and a hi viz vest; how was I supposed to see him?" but also because the connection between the two isn't as strong as people like to claim. Stuttgart's trams are massive, canary yellow and brightly lit at night, yet drivers manage to constantly not see them and cause accidents.

Neilka

The problem with "Be safe Be Seen" is that it's used to put pressure on cyclists to wear all kinds of hi viz, and thus absolve motorists of blame for poor driving "He only had two lights and a hi viz vest; how was I supposed to see him?" but also because the connection between the two isn't as strong as people like to claim. Stuttgart's trams are massive, canary yellow and brightly lit at night, yet drivers manage to constantly not see them and cause accidents.

There's my advantage of living in "little" Warendorf. No trams 😉

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Absolutely @Andy in Germany ...excuses like "I didn't see them" or "They came out of nowhere" cannot be viable defences and if used should warrant an additional charge of driving without due care and attention.

presta

Guru
ankle bands...keep my pant legs out the chain
Back in the days before I switched to using Ron Hill Bikesters I used to ride in polycotton walking trousers, and I sewed some velcro staps on the bottoms similar to the ones on waterproof overtrousers. Very convenient as you get on & off the bike, you can tighten & release them in seconds.

Those valve lights seem like a good idea

Ones I just looked at have a lot of reviews saying the batteries only last an hour or so - which is hopeless

Seem like a contended for having a self generated power supply - are there any like that?

Top Bottom