Is signalling a dying art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodd82

Signalling by car drivers, I should add.

I've noticed it in the car before and it frustrates me, but it's even more frustrating on the bike, when you've totally lost momentum waiting for a car to come around a roundabout and then they turn off with no signal - for example.

I've ordered a camera for my helmet which will no doubt throw up some funny examples, but I assume this is one of those things that we have to begrudgingly accept?

It seems the vast majority have no idea why their indicators exist. So many signal as they manoeuvre - as if they know they should do it but not why.

I think the government should have more campaigns about this type of thing.

What gets me are the car drivers who insist on signalling to go around a parked car! like they are going to drive through it! :banghead:

yep - does seem to be lacking, but also with cyclists and other vehicles as well.

BSRU

A Human Being
Many do not signal because their hand is busy holding a mobile phone, or like this morning a woman holding a large mug of coffee/tea.

daSmirnov

I try to signal as much as possible. It's obviously good practise. If I need my hand to break, or control the bike, then no. Which is why it is a "should" in the Highway Code, not a "must". Control of the bike is more important IMO.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

maz

other cyclists not signalling hasn't yet affected my journey, which is why it's not mentioned in this thread.

400bhp

Guru
@maz - it's a should rather than a must.

Couple of points:

When turning left, it is often safer not to signal because; (i) you have less control over the bike and (ii) it stops cars turning across you where they are waiting to turn right (unfortunately when signalling an intention, some road users will take chances and make risky manouvers).

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

I signal wherever I feel it's safe, and make particular effort to signal if I can see that my manoevre will affect another road user.

That, after all, is the purpose!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Absolutely. The principle of signalling is that you should do it when it would benefit another road user to know your intentions. It is not necessary to signal automatically every time you change course and you should be sufficiently aware of what's going on around you to know whether you ought to signal or not. It worries me when I see people who signal even when there's no other road user in sight, this tells me they don't understand the rules and are not aware what's going on.

Sadly I suppose cyclists aren't considered significant road users by a lot of drivers.

Top Bottom