Is signalling a dying art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes it is and I have confirmation in an email from the then Head of Traffic of Durham Police that effectively you don't have to signal so they won't try to enforce signalling. You are on your own and all you can do is put up with the selfish numpties who never use an indicator.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
@maz - it's a should rather than a must.

Couple of points:

When turning left, it is often safer not to signal because; (i) you have less control over the bike and (ii) it stops cars turning across you where they are waiting to turn right (unfortunately when signalling an intention, some road users will take chances and make risky manouvers).
Sorry @400bhp but I disagree. this is akin to a driver telling me he couldn't fit past without a close pass. If you can make a move safely then don't make it at all. There is no excuse for not signalling, allowing yourself time to do so effectively is the key.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If a signal can be ambiguous then don't signal. Signalling around an object is likely to cause an ambiguous signal as it can often become hard to tell the difference between someone pulling to the right ahead & someone simply going round something in the road.

Only signal to turn, not to divert. Unless in a group of riders when the signal is for their benefit (same as hole spotting and the like)

Jezston

Über Member
I often do a low arm out if I'm moving a little bit e.g. to go around a parked car - a kind of half indicate at 45 degrees or thereabouts.

Good/bad idea?

GrasB

Veteran
Sorry @400bhp but I disagree. this is akin to a driver telling me he couldn't fit past without a close pass. If you can make a move safely then don't make it at all. There is no excuse for not signalling, allowing yourself time to do so effectively is the key.
400bhp is right though. My, video documented, left hook count go down from 2 or 3 times/day to once or twice a week simply by not signalling left.

shunter

got it in one, but often there is nothing to turn into, but just on a common sense level, why signal to go around something we are all going to assume you are not going to drive through? (sorry I used to teach advanced level driving for +18 years or so, so I tend to be a bore on this matter!).... (and yep - common sense does not often apply to motorists, but driving through a parked car?)

I never really worry much about over signalling but a couple of reasons why I would signal going past a parked car or even a cyclist as it inevitably puts you over the white line;

1 - For the benefit of the car, bike or whatever is behind in case they are not looking that far ahead or just not looking - altruistic nature.
2 - In the case of overtaking a cyclist so I can make a statement to the traffic behind that I am giving the cyclist ample room when I overtake and it may be a good idea for them to copy me.
3 - In case the driver is still in the parked car and at that instance decides to get out of his car - maybe a flashing indicator will attract his attention.
4 - In case the driver behind, at the same moment as I have signalled, signals to overtake me without noticing the parked car that I have to avoid.

400bhp

Guru

Interesting that.

It's something I picked up[learnt] from a comment @Gregcollins mentioned on here a while ago. Much much safer IMO not to signal left (turning off a road).

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I never really worry much about over signalling but a couple of reasons why I would signal going past a parked car or even a cyclist as it inevitably puts you over the white line;

1 - For the benefit of the car, bike or whatever is behind in case they are not looking that far ahead or just not looking - altruistic nature.
2 - In the case of overtaking a cyclist so I can make a statement to the traffic behind that I am giving the cyclist ample room when I overtake and it may be a good idea for them to copy me.
3 - In case the driver is still in the parked car and at that instance decides to get out of his car - maybe a flashing indicator will attract his attention.
4 - In case the driver behind, at the same moment as I have signalled, signals to overtake me without noticing the parked car that I have to avoid.

Parked cars and cyclists require different approaches, so can not be compared. I always indicate around cyclists, if there is oncoming or following traffic. Oncoming because it will alert them and get them to go over, which is usually beneficial - just don't rely on it.
As for someone in a parked car, chances are they are not going to look and a covering your horn in case you see that door start to open is a much better approach and having your horn covered reduces the time frame needed to get their attention. We do not use horns anywhere near enough as drivers in the UK. I don't care if they swear at me, give me 2 fingers etc - as far as the law is concerned if anything was to have happened after that point, they have actually acknowledged you are there and responded to your warning, just make sure your warning horn (short toot) is used in accordance to the law. yeh people get upset about it, but sometimes it is better to upset them... (which is something I am pretty good at doing, nearly got the dog walkers around here away of what a bell is!)

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I have a theory that the more expensive your car the more you simply cannot afford to have indicators installed.
for instance, have you ever seen a BMW, Mercedes, Land rover, Jaguar or Audi indicate?

the only other explenation i can come up with is resale value, apparently your car will re-sell for far more if the indicator bulbs are factory fitted and unused...
Pete

totallyfixed

Veteran
Quite apart from common decency and courtesy, not indicating whilst driving [along with tailgating] is a major cause of traffic congestion which in turn [excuse pun] makes a cyclist more vulnerable.
I always indicate including when cycling unless the road is empty and often get a wave of thanks when I indicate to turn left from the driver waiting to pull out from the same turn. I am a bit surprised that anyone riding a bike should feel out of control whilst signalling, it's not only driving standards that are deteriorating...this from someone who just recently was hit head on at a combined speed of over 100 mph and the t**t didn't have the decency to indicate that he was going to do so:sad:

400bhp

Guru
Quite apart from common decency and courtesy, not indicating whilst driving [along with tailgating] is a major cause of traffic congestion which in turn [excuse pun] makes a cyclist more vulnerable.
I always indicate including when cycling unless the road is empty and often get a wave of thanks when I indicate to turn left from the driver waiting to pull out from the same turn. I am a bit surprised that anyone riding a bike should feel out of control whilst signalling, it's not only driving standards that are deteriorating...this from someone who just recently was hit head on at a combined speed of over 100 mph and the t**t didn't have the decency to indicate that he was going to do so:sad:

So am I. But no-one has said that as far as I can see.

byegad

Legendary Member
I can see the point of not signalling left if you have a left turning car behind you who will see your indication as an invitation to make the turn alongside you and so squeeze you into the kerb at the apex. Sitting a bit further out to the right helps mitigate this to some extent. However I try to assess every left turn I make* and signal at least 90% of the time.

*You can often here the car behind try to accelerate to pass you if you have signalled the left turn. If they then brake as they get alongside they are coming round with you. Stopping short of the corner is then the best defence in this case.

400bhp

Guru
I can see the point of not signalling left if you have a left turning car behind you who will see your indication as an invitation to make the turn alongside you and so squeeze you into the kerb at the apex. Sitting a bit further out to the right helps mitigate this to some extent. However I try to assess every left turn I make* and signal at least 90% of the time.

*You can often here the car behind try to accelerate to pass you if you have signalled the left turn. If they then brake as they get alongside they are coming round with you. Stopping short of the corner is then the best defence in this case.

I find it's not the car behind, it's when cars are turning across you.

I'll generally signal left if there is a car behind.

Depends upon the layout of the road doesn't it.

Top Bottom