Is signalling a dying art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I disagree.

It's important to give drivers of following vehicles notice that you may encroach further out into the lane than your current position, for whatever reason: parked car, narrowing road, kicked-out kerbs etc. The diagrams given in the HC show that, for example, a right indicator means 'I intend to move out to the right or turn right'.

GC
I agree, especially when overtaking a cyclist as any vehicles following won't necessarily be able to see the cyclist through the vehicle in front.

byegad

Legendary Member
A competent, aware driver should know if there is a cyclist, driver or pedestrian who stands to benefit from his signal. He should also know if there's nobody around - whether he chooses to signal is up to him.

This only applies if you have godlike powers to be sure you are alone. I was taught to ride a motorcycle by the RAC/ACU Training scheme in the 60s and learned t drive a car at the same time. signalling was intrinsic to any manoeuvre and for me it still is. I trained as a driving instructor in the late 70s and again signalling was intrinsic to all manoeuvres. As a consequence I find it next to impossible to make a turn in the car or on my trikes without making a signal, I'm that used to doing it. What a shame I'm one of a dying breed.

RedRider

Pulling through
Empathy, assertiveness and comedy are why I signal. Empathy for the person waiting to pull out from a road I'm turning left into and generally remembering where I'd appreciate a signal myself and assertively to bring attention to myself and show someone where I want to go.

And yesterday I blew a kiss to a couple of builders in a van who really, really wanted to be in front of me and it made me laugh.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
I've also seen motorists that signal right when they're going straight on at a roundbout, before then signalling left as they exit.

Why in gods name they feel the need to signal right is beyond me.

Some people need sitting down and a good speaking to!
Signalling right going around a roundabout is one of the few signals you see that is (usually) trustworthy and useful. Saves you having to guess whether the driver is a prat who is signalling left for the next exit rather than you one you are in.

Blurb

Über Member
As per byegad I signal whenever required in the car, and as much as possible on the bike. The point for me is that it is possible to miss other road users and mirror/shouldercheck-signal-manoeuvre gives the other road user an opportunity to make their presence known or take appropriate action to avoid a coming together.
As a rider the indicator is a very useful guide to a driver's intentions and they can easily not have seen you, thus giving you a chance.
Bike or car, I think it's better to indicate even when you think there's no-one around just in case. It should just be instinctive, no effort required.

I often do a low arm out if I'm moving a little bit e.g. to go around a parked car - a kind of half indicate at 45 degrees or thereabouts.

Good/bad idea?

Good idea. I do not say this because I do it and encouraged my offspring to do it.

Nor do I suggest for a moment that it was my idea before it was yours. I suspect it was, but I do not suggest it in this post. :tongue:

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Sorry @400bhp but I disagree. this is akin to a driver telling me he couldn't fit past without a close pass. If you can make a move safely then don't make it at all. There is no excuse for not signalling, allowing yourself time to do so effectively is the key.
I'm with 400bhp on this one. A signal is to allow other road users to change their behaviour/direction/speed to avoid an accident or close encounter. No following motorist should be doing anything different whether a cyclists cuts off left or not. The only exception to this would be a car tailgating the cyclist, who you might hope would slow down if they saw a left signal. Chances are that the driver is a prat and would do no such thing and in that circumstance I would certainly be keeping my hands firmly on the handlebars.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
As per byegad I signal whenever required in the car, and as much as possible on the bike. The point for me is that it is possible to miss other road users and mirror/shouldercheck-signal-manoeuvre gives the other road user an opportunity to make their presence known or take appropriate action to avoid a coming together.
As a rider the indicator is a very useful guide to a driver's intentions and they can easily not have seen you, thus giving you a chance.
Bike or car, I think it's better to indicate even when you think there's no-one around just in case. It should just be instinctive, no effort required.
Unfortunately it is often the instictively indicating driver who says, 'but didn't you see me indicate?' as he climbs from the wreckage. Indicating needs to be thoughtful, not automatic.

Blurb

Über Member
Unfortunately it is often the instictively indicating driver who says, 'but didn't you see me indicate?' as he climbs from the wreckage. Indicating needs to be thoughtful, not automatic.
Maybe instinctive is not the best word for what I am trying to say.
The process of changing direction should be a thoughtful procedure which shouldn't require an effort, thus negating one of the arguments for not bothering because "there's no-one around". This was the scenario/discussion I was particularly responding to.
I've been caught out in the car by blind-spots, the car's and mine, and trying to consistently M-S-M has saved me, and the other party, from an incident once or twice.
Of course, indicating for the sake of indicating without checking before moving is only going to be useful to a point.

ayceejay

Guru
Those above who have said that when you signal you are indicating an intention are right on the money. My pet hate is pulling up behind someone at traffic lights who signals when the lights change denying you the opportunity to take another lane to avoid being held up. These are the same people who signal as they are turning, as if the flashers are connected to the steering wheel, surely there is no point at all in indicating at this point!

campbellab

I do this. I signal that I am not leaving at the first exit, and then I signal that I am leaving at the second exit. I think I was taught to do this, too. It depends on the size of the roundabout - if you can't see me before I get onto the the roundabout then "no signal" is ambiguous as you don't know where I've come from or where straight on might be.

The person who "sees people signalling when there's no one around" - well you're around, aren't you, otherwise you wouldn't see them signalling? I'm not a very good driver, maybe there's someone I should have noticed but have not who might find my singal useful - and it is no skin off my nose to flick an indicator lever! Signalling on a bike is different, of course, among other things you have to return your hand to the bars to change gear.

Signals and position.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Personally I don't signal if I'm going for the 2nd exit, if there's a 3rd exit before 12 o clock I will right signal if appropriate (normally if 2nd exit is a 'big' exit, and 3rd exit is a 'small' one).

I think theres a lot of variation in what people call straight on and right on a roundabout, most people and locals will do it on the physical layout of the roundabout, which invariably is the wrong approach as people without prior experience dont know this (its not always visible on approach). The roundabout signs often have seemingly crazy 3 o clock exit, which is physically at 12 o clock and such, but I always lane and signal appropriate to the sign and/or road markings but try to be aware of 'local' accepted lanes which often tend to differ. I dont think there is any real mention on the style of roundabout signs in highways code/books and it took me a while after passing to work out all the nuances of roundabout signs as my instructor never pointed them out.

I find right turns in the left hand lane always interesting as invariably anyone who doesn't spot it early enough is in the right hand lane, and a lot of people dont recognise the roundabout exit sign which identifies it as 2 lanes despite coming from a 2 lane road.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Signalling right going around a roundabout is one of the few signals you see that is (usually) trustworthy and useful. Saves you having to guess whether the driver is a prat who is signalling left for the next exit rather than you one you are in.
I live pretty much next to a large, multiple entry/exit roundabout and you really would not believe the number of drivers that signal left BEFORE the exit prior to the one they intend to exit at! The only solution is to ignore all signals and base your decisions on what vehicles actually physically do rather than the exhibited intentions!
Those above who have said that when you signal you are indicating an intention are right on the money. My pet hate is pulling up behind someone at traffic lights who signals when the lights change denying you the opportunity to take another lane to avoid being held up. These are the same people who signal as they are turning, as if the flashers are connected to the steering wheel, surely there is no point at all in indicating at this point!
^^^^^^ this drives me nuts. You roll up to the lights at a dual lane junction, one car in the right lane, a dozen cars in the left lane. both lanes are marked as ok for straight on. Once the lights change to green the single car in the right lane starts to signal for a right turn! FFS, do these people have NO awareness or consideration?

Top Bottom