Is signalling a dying art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

It seems that the web link proves my point. Hopefully, at some point, you will realise your error and stop signalling right when you're intending to go straight on (take the second exit).

Feel free to post the part where it says 'you signal left if taking the first exit and right if continuing past an exit' though, if you want to continue this ridiculous conversation.

And by the way, if you're in the left lane and signalling right because you intend to go right, then you're in the wrong lane.

I see quite a few people do this - truly shocking and dangerous driving.

Unless lane markings indicate otherwise

I see quite a few people take the right hand lane then cut across the path of those using the left hand lane marked as right turn, to cut into the nearside lane at the exit, then get all upset at people using "the wrong lane to turn right" - truly shocking and dangerous driving.

As for the HC link it clearly shows the straight-on car in the left lane approach the RAB with no indicators, then indicating left after passing the 1st exit so I too am mystified at this notion of signalling right to indicate going straight ahead

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Unless lane markings indicate otherwise

I see quite a few people take the right hand lane then cut across the path of those using the left hand lane marked as right turn, to cut into the nearside lane at the exit, then get all upset at people using "the wrong lane to turn right" - truly shocking and dangerous driving.

As for the HC link it clearly shows the straight-on car in the left lane approach the RAB with no indicators, then indicating left after passing the 1st exit so I too am mystified at this notion of signalling right to indicate going straight ahead

Yes, fair point.

Sometimes I can actually understand why there is confusion. There's a roundabout near where I live that has 4 exits, and when you approach from at least two from them, one turning is ever so slightly to the right, and is either the 2nd or 3rd exit.

No one can ever seem to agree which lane is correct, though there are no markings so the highway code would suggest the right hand lane?

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
It seems that the web link proves my point. Hopefully, at some point, you will realise your error and stop signalling right when you're intending to go straight on (take the second exit).

Feel free to post the part where it says 'you signal left if taking the first exit and right if continuing past an exit' though, if you want to continue this ridiculous conversation.

Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly. What should I do if the second exit is at 200 degrees? Is that straight on or turning right?

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly. What should I do if the second exit is at 200 degrees? Is that straight on or turning right?

I guess you need to decide whether you feel the exit is 'to the right' or not. If it is, then you shouldn't be in the left hand lane.

If you decide it's not, then, as the web site says - you should approach in the left lane, pass the first exit and then signal left to show your intent to leave at the next exit.

No mention of any signalling right to show that you intend to pass an exit - with all due respect, I'm a little bemused how you interpreted that from this web site.

Hopefully you'll stop doing it from now on, because it is dangerous in my opinion.

During the time I was commuting 20,000 mile a year on the motorbike I noticed that not indicating was just the tip of the iceberg. Top thing for me after people's general lack of awareness of what happening around them was middle lane hogging. Every journey would see me pootling along the inside lane not too excessively but definitely faster than the 60-65mph middle lane. I would wonder what's keeping them out, notice bugger all as usual so over take then come back in the the inside lane. All I used to see behind me is a lot of sheepish car driver moving into the inside lane.

Or it could be the people who drive along a lovely twisty country road which has good visibility at 30-40 mph as they actually have to steer, then once they get to the motorway open it up past 90.

Or the idiot BMW/Audi/boy racer who barrels along a country road at a stupid speed with no though of what if ..... is around the corner. I like riding the motorbike pretty fast and love down billing on the MTB but some people make me cringe.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
I guess you need to decide whether you feel the exit is 'to the right' or not. If it is, then you shouldn't be in the left hand lane.

If you decide it's not, then, as the web site says - you should approach in the left lane, pass the first exit and then signal left to show your intent to leave at the next exit.

So this is open to personal interpretation, I hadn't realised that. BTW I am not talking about lane discipline, as the post is about signalling.

No mention of any signalling right to show that you intend to pass an exit - with all due respect, I'm a little bemused how you interpreted that from this web site.

Hopefully you'll stop doing it from now on, because it is dangerous in my opinion.
I still don't undestand how this is dangerous. Could you describe a situation involving a right hand signal on a roundabout that will lead to an accident occuring? Assume that there is no incorrect use of a lane.

My BMW has indicators, and I like to use them correctly to amaze and annoy people who think all BMW drivers don't use them ^_^

We live in a world full of people that can't move 1 finger on their left hand, regard amber as an indication to floor it, red as a thrill opportunity after flooring it, see cyclists as a threat to their sexuality/territory, and regard not indicating as a victory over everyone that has to sit and wait for them to display their true intention.

Anyway, it's the Audi drivers that are worst... :evil:

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

So this is open to personal interpretation, I hadn't realised that. BTW I am not talking about lane discipline, as the post is about signalling.

The element we were discussing is not open to interpretation.

If you're in the left lane then you should not use your right indicator to signal that you're not turning left. That is what you said, and you were wrong.

If you continue to do it, you'll still be wrong.

I think it's dangerous, because it's confusing. When I am the driver in the right hand lane at a roundabout, and I see someone doing what you've describe, I hesitate and hang back to try and work out what the hell that driver is doing.

Granted, it's not the most dangerous thing you could do, but it causes confusion, which has to be dangerous to some degree.

Ultimately, you shouldn't be doing it - I think that's been appropriately explained with your own web link.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

During the time I was commuting 20,000 mile a year on the motorbike I noticed that not indicating was just the tip of the iceberg. Top thing for me after people's general lack of awareness of what happening around them was middle lane hogging. Every journey would see me pootling along the inside lane not too excessively but definitely faster than the 60-65mph middle lane. I would wonder what's keeping them out, notice bugger all as usual so over take then come back in the the inside lane. All I used to see behind me is a lot of sheepish car driver moving into the inside lane.

Amen to that.

One of the major causes of congestion also.

It's as if people think it shows a weakness to pull over whilst they're not overtaking sometimes, or that they're too scared that they won't get back out.

Plus there's just the people that are completely oblivious to what they're doing wrong, and think the middle lane is some sort of cruising lane.

I think it should be law for people to have a motorway lesson before being allowed to use them.

shunter

If you're in the left lane then you should not use your right indicator to signal that you're not turning left. That is what you said, and you were wrong.

I think it's dangerous, because it's confusing. When I am the driver in the right hand lane at a roundabout, and I see someone doing what you've describe, I hesitate and hang back to try and work out what the hell that driver is doing.

Granted, it's not the most dangerous thing you could do, but it causes confusion, which has to be dangerous to some degree.

Ultimately, you shouldn't be doing it - I think that's been appropriately explained with your own web link.

This situation is even more dangerous if you are on a motorcycle/ bicycle on the right lane signalling left to leave the roundabout straight, you do a shoulder check to the car right beside you and notice it is signalling right. What do you do?? If they really mean it you are on the ground - if not, just an extra skid mark on the underpants!

Another equally dangerous move is the car who enters the roudabout as you are about to leave on the right lane. Do they not understand they have two legal moves they can make, Turn off the roundabout beside you or else go straight on. How am I suppose to know which one they are going to make. If if they indicate left their car is usually at such an angle anyway that you can't see itanyway.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.

It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Most roundabout accidents are caused by vehicles when they are either entering or leaving a roundabout. A right hand indication helps an entering driver or cyclist to realise the indicating vehicle is staying on the roundabout, so it makes the situation safer than no indication. Bear in mind that some of the prats pulling onto roundabouts need all the help to drive safely that they can get, and I'm more than happy to give it to them. There are no negatives to this aspect.

As you rightly say, for other drivers on the roundabout it's not the end of the world to have someone indicating right. Hanging back while you work out what they are doing is really no different to hanging back while you work out what someone is doing who doesn't indicate.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Most roundabout accidents are caused by vehicles when they are either entering or leaving a roundabout. A right hand indication helps an entering driver or cyclist to realise the indicating vehicle is staying on the roundabout, so it makes the situation safer than no indication. Bear in mind that some of the prats pulling onto roundabouts need all the help to drive safely that they can get, and I'm more than happy to give it to them. There are no negatives to this aspect.

As you rightly say, for other drivers on the roundabout it's not the end of the world to have someone indicating right. Hanging back while you work out what they are doing is really no different to hanging back while you work out what someone is doing who doesn't indicate.

Agree to disagree?

Your own link says that you're wrong.

Your signal is inappropriate and not the right course of action. You are confusing other road users and, as the motorcyclist explains above, potentially being hazardous.

Unfortunately, there's too many people that cannot allow themselves to be corrected these days. You are doing the wrong thing and, whilst your intentions may have been honourable, you should stop what you're doing.

This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of you deciding to carry on doing something despite it being the wrong thing to do.

is really no different to hanging back while you work out what someone is doing who doesn't indicate

Except why would you hang back? There's no indication that the driver to your left intends to move into the right lane or continue around the roundabout.

Unlike the idiot who is signalling right when he has no intention of moving right in anyway, shape or form.

Top Bottom