Is signalling a dying art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
.. And you're entitled to hold it. I prefer to follow the guidance of the Highway Code.

GC
HC (cyclists)

Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see 'Signals to other road users'), of your intended actions. You should always
  • give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time
  • use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
  • cancel them after use
  • make sure your signals will not confuse others. If, for instance, you want to stop after a side road, do not signal until you are passing the road. If you signal earlier it may give the impression that you intend to turn into the road. Your brake lights will warn traffic behind you that you are slowing down
  • use an arm signal to emphasise or reinforce your signal if necessary. Remember that signalling does not give you priority
As such I've always taken the view NOT to signal when overtaking a stationary/slow object or just moving lanes unless I intend to cross a very busy lane/s and am aware that vehicles travelling from behind may not expect this. In this situation I find a signal (BIG CLEAR ONE ) along with plenty of rear ob's is essential.
Its all common sense really and I'm sure you apply as much of this as I do to ensure you ride within your comfort level.
Not signalling to pass stationary object and reserving it for turns and "big moves" has worked for me over the last 4 years.
Now, as a compromise I may, if i feel the vehicle behind is not aware of my move, "point" and do the 45 degree wave ting, but I don't consider that a clear and general signal, more a direct communication with another specific driver, a bit like a thank you or a wave.

what the heel is gong on with these fonts!!!

Rancid

Always signal for the benefit of ALL other road users.
If its on a main road i will make eye contact and signal, so there can be no confusion from anyone as to what i'm doing.

only recently was cycling with a work mate the same route home and he asked me in a very bemused tone why i signal at each turning ? i told him i don't really trust the clairvoyant skills of most drivers.
he still has not figured it out.

Cid.

Proud2Push

I agree with all the comments about lousy or non-existent signalling by car drivers, but it also seems that car designers have been making indicator lights less obvious and even almost too subtle to be seen. Sometimes I think someone hasn't signalled and then realise a faint orange glow, visible only from a narrow field of vision and lost in the battery of white or red halogens and leds, is actually flashing.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Signalling right going around a roundabout is one of the few signals you see that is (usually) trustworthy and useful. Saves you having to guess whether the driver is a prat who is signalling left for the next exit rather than you one you are in.

Meanwhile confusing the hell out of the driver to your right.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

.. And you're entitled to hold it. I prefer to follow the guidance of the Highway Code.

GC

Much of the highway code is just that - guidance. Wouldn't like to follow the HC guidance turning right on larger faster roundabouts of going all the way round on the nearside with my right arm stuck out though....

Gixxerman

Guru
I own a BMW and I indicate. This is in contravention of the user manual, and I have also had letters from the BMW owners club threatening to strike me off for not upholding the BMW owner ethos.

But seriously, it is also my pet peeve. I see it as common courteously to other road users. Which may explain why so many do not bother. I believe that people seem to be less courteous to others in todays society. When driving, this seems to even more so.

When I was doing my motorcycle training "Star Rider" course, the instructor made us stand at a roundabout and observe the indicating. Most just did not bother to indicate at all (including a police car). One notable person, who was turning right, timed the indications to perfection. Shame that they did not seem to know left from right; They approached RAB in right hand lane indicating left, went round RAB still indicating left and indicated right when passing the second exit and left the RAB at the third exit.

I once followed one of our managers into work one morning. I followed him for about 3 miles through the city, during which he never indicated once. When I got to the works car park, I told him him had a very nice car (Audi :rolleyes:) . But just a shame that the indicators did not work. He looked at me puzzled and said that to his knowledge they did work. I replied, "Strange. I have followed you in from the ring road and I haven't seen them come on once". Once he had seen through the sarcasm, he admitted his guilt and promised to be more vigilant in future, but offered no explanation.

I have lost count of the time that I have been waiting to pull out at a RAB, having to give way to vehicles approaching the RAB from my right, only to have them turn left without indicating. If they had indicated, I could have been on my way. Multiply this up, and you can quickly see that this could easily lead to conjestion. I also hate the brake then indicate habit. I always indicate well before I need to brake for a turn off. This gives the vehicles behind plenty of time to react and slow down before I need to slow down for the turn.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

I own a BMW and I indicate. This is in contravention of the user manual, and I have also had letters from the BMW owners club threatening to strike me off for not upholding the BMW owner ethos.

But seriously, it is also my pet peeve. I see it as common courteously to other road users. Which may explain why so many do not bother. I believe that people seem to be less courteous to others in todays society. When driving, this seems to even more so.

Totally agree with everything that you've said.

I have tried to understand, but can't. What is it? Do people subconsciously think 'well this indicator isn't doing anything for me so I won't bother'?

It baffles me that people can be that stupid.

Exactly why I don't signal left if there are vehicles behind me. Some people take it as an inviatation to overtake in a situation where it isn't safe.
I am the same, I only signal left if I am able to take primary to stop drivers overtaking me at the time.

Regarding cars, yes, you should indicate to show your intention and cancel said indicator especially on a roundabout or indicate BEFORE coming off at your required exit.
When overtaling parked cars, you only need to indicate if you are crossing the median/centre line AND it will potentially affect othjer road users, ie approaching vehicles , pedestrians or someone possibly going to overtake you.
Similarly on dual carriageways, if you are in the overtaking lane, move back to the left but only indicate again if you need to.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Most roundabouts have two lanes.

If you're in the left lane going straight on, but you choose to signal right, the driver in the right hand lane (who in most cases will either be going straight on into the right lane or turning right) will see your right signal as a suggestion that you're intending to change lanes or actually keep going around the roundabout.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Most roundabouts have two lanes.
If you're in the left lane going straight on, but you choose to signal right, the driver in the right hand lane (who in most cases will either be going straight on into the right lane or turning right) will see your right signal as a suggestion that you're intending to change lanes or actually keep going around the roundabout.
Either of which could indeed be what that driver has in mind, whether he signals or not. Why do you find this confusing? I'm surely not the only one who thinks that a right signal on a roundabout is a clear warning that the vehicle is not leaving yet, an important and very welcome piece of information for others.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

Either of which could indeed be what that driver has in mind, whether he signals or not. Why do you find this confusing? I'm surely not the only one who thinks that a right signal on a roundabout is a clear warning that the vehicle is not leaving yet, an important and very welcome piece of information for others.

Sorry, what are you on about?

Either of which could be indeed what that driver has in mind?

We are discussing people that intend to go straight on, but are signalling right. So no, the driver's intention is to pass the first exit and take the second exit - straight on.

No matter how you dress it up and whether your intentions are honourable, you should not be signalling right in this instance.

Just because some people intend to leave at the first exit but do not signal does not mean that signalling right becomes the correct thing to do. Feel free to check what I'm saying anywhere you like.

If that's what you do then I for one would be highly irritated if I was the driver to your right hand side - and rightly so.

OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

And by the way, if you're in the left lane and signalling right because you intend to go right, then you're in the wrong lane.

I see quite a few people do this - truly shocking and dangerous driving.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Sorry, what are you on about?

Either of which could be indeed what that driver has in mind?

We are discussing people that intend to go straight on, but are signalling right. So no, the driver's intention is to pass the first exit and take the second exit - straight on.

No matter how you dress it up and whether your intentions are honourable, you should not be signalling right in this instance.

Just because some people intend to leave at the first exit but do not signal does not mean that signalling right becomes the correct thing to do. Feel free to check what I'm saying anywhere you like.

If that's what you do then I for one would be highly irritated if I was the driver to your right hand side - and rightly so.
Don't take my word for it. If you check the highway code you will see that you signal left if taking the first exit and right if continuing past an exit:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338
If you are irritated by this you should really take it up with the Highways Agency to see what they can do for you.

Top Bottom