Is signalling a dying art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dodd82

dodd82

I've also seen motorists that signal right when they're going straight on at a roundabout, before then signalling left as they exit.

Why in gods name they feel the need to signal right is beyond me.

Some people need sitting down and a good speaking to!

If I remember correctly (and I infrequently do) signalling to pass parked cars can be misunderstood by other motorists as an intention to turn into a side ride, and therefore can be misleading.

got it in one, but often there is nothing to turn into, but just on a common sense level, why signal to go around something we are all going to assume you are not going to drive through? (sorry I used to teach advanced level driving for +18 years or so, so I tend to be a bore on this matter!).... (and yep - common sense does not often apply to motorists, but driving through a parked car?)

GrasB

Veteran
got it in one, but often there is nothing to turn into, but just on a common sense level, why signal to go around something we are all going to assume you are not going to drive through? (sorry I used to teach advanced level driving for +18 years or so, so I tend to be a bore on this matter!).... (and yep - common sense does not often apply to motorists, but driving through a parked car?)
If a signal can be ambiguous then don't signal. Signalling around an object is likely to cause an ambiguous signal as it can often become hard to tell the difference between someone pulling to the right ahead & someone simply going round something in the road.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Drivers in Bradley Stoke (especially Audi & BMW drivers) must have their indicators disabled. There are so many roundabouts it is just too much to expect them to put the phone down and indicate their intentions at each one !

Maz

Guru
When I exit a big, busy roundabout, I indicate left showing the palm of my hand like a STOP gesture.
This turns into a thumbs up if the driver stops.:thumbsup:

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
One of my pet hates people not indicating. My driving instructor told me way back when I was learning that "they are called indicators because they are a tool to allow you to indicate what your about to do". I've never forgotten that and must say I always use them out of principal mostly

@maz - it's a should rather than a must.

Couple of points:

When turning left, it is often safer not to signal because; (i) you have less control over the bike and (ii) it stops cars turning across you where they are waiting to turn right (unfortunately when signalling an intention, some road users will take chances and make risky manouvers).

Exactly why I don't signal left if there are vehicles behind me. Some people take it as an inviatation to overtake in a situation where it isn't safe.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I will signal a left or right turn before i hit a roundabout so those behind me know my intention however i rarely signal when on the roundabout a i prefer both hands covering the brakes, particularly when doing any sort of speed. I signal at all other times when i need to inform over road users that i am pulling out or turning

carolonabike

I read (or someone told me, not sure which) that now learner drivers are taught to indicate later than in the olden days in case it confuses other road users :blink: . I'm not sure if this is true, of course a lot of people just don't bother.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Most drivers signal after its obvious what they are about to do. Indicators and brake lights together, and very rarely when tuning left especially at traffic lights.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I've not noticed the indicating thing with cars but I have seen at least twice in the last week cars not just sitting in the bike box at a red traffic light but actually creeping through it. One driver in a swanky car with a private plate was almost around the corner and into the next street before the light turned from red to amber. Wtf? I'd have taken his number and reported him if I'd a better memory.

headcoat

Über Member
While on a cycling trip around Isle of Man, everyone signalled, cars and bikes. Even if no one else is around on the road, a car would indicate that they are overtaking my bike.

Cyclists indicate when turning even if no one else is around (except me of course, but too far away for it to affect me)

Top Bottom