Is steel going out of fashion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd like to say something sensible, but the mere mention of 'mudguards' has me reaching for the brandy and the Derringer........

frank9755

Cyclist
I'd like to say something sensible, but the mere mention of 'mudguards' has me reaching for the brandy and the Derringer........

rofl.gif

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
To answer the question, "is steel going out of fashion?". It did over many years but is now going through a renaissance, in part due to the rise of retro. Whilst it would be an exageration to suggest that everyone wants a steel bike, many of my club mates have often expressed a few how they would like a steel frame. Considering the high spec of steel frames now available from the likes of Rourke cycles, who can blame them. The only catch is the cost for a 953 frame can easily top £1,500. If you have the money to afford on high quality steel and Rapha type retro clothing - that's called style.

I suspect that more people are now questioning of the alleged longevity of carbon too, thus making ti and steel frames more attractive propositions. For one, I went for ti after witnessing various examples of trashed carbon.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It did over many years but is now going through a renaissance, in part due to the rise of retro.

Excellent! With France not following the trends quite so quickly, I look forward to seeing loads of made-to-measure Berthoud frames in the years to come!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hopefully "in the market" for a new audax frame at the present time, so this thread much of interest to me.

All my current bikes are 531 framed, and if I could find a really classy steel frame ... maybe something like Reynolds 853 or the equivalent Columbus tubeset I'd happily stick with steel.

Not overfussed about bespoke frames, although if time and money were no object :rofl: I'd book onto a Dave Yates frame building course and make my own.

As it is, I'm not aware of any off-the-peg steel frames of appropriate geometry, that can match titanium for weight and cost..... unless of course the great and the good of this forum can point me in the direction of one?

Top Bottom