Is steel real

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Good steel is much better than bad steel.
That goes for all materials.

iandg

Legendary Member
View attachment 457258 My Genesis Croix de Fer is steel. A super bike for 250km plus days or just knocking about the neighbourhood.

My 70s steel Raleigh Professional has been to Tuscany too (L'Eroica 2011) :smile:

6299411726_107251be38.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ive been noticing that quite a few people are turning their backs on carbon fibre and Aluminium framed bikes and looking at Steel. Although not cheap and as much or if not more than a carbon. I see many people admire them for their silky ride quality.

Many of us have not actually turned our backs on Carbon and Aluminium, because we always stuck with Steel and never went over to those materials in the first place! Who says steel isn't cheap? I've got a whole shedful of steel bikes, several with Reynolds tubing, and the most expensive one was £72 new back in the mid 1980's. You don't have to pay silly money for custom, there is plenty of value out there in the secondhand market or even budget new market, so long as BSO's are avoided.

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Even when a bit rusty and neglected, steel bikes can be brought back to life. Like this (warning: the second video is a bit long):

U

User169

I've got a Fratello. Lovely bike, although it doesn't get much of a look in these days as I prefer to ride my alu bike which is even comfier. Mind you, that's prolly got quite a bit to do with the 38mm Compass tires

#supplelife

I've got a Fratello. Lovely bike, although it doesn't get much of a look in these days as I prefer to ride my alu bike which is even comfier. Mind you, that's prolly got quite a bit to do with the 38mm Compass tires

#supplelife
Yup, big tyres and reasonable pressures = comfort. Anyone want a Scott roadie?
Edit: And Jilly Goolden: I can still hear here being bewitched by Tesco Premier Cru bubbly just ahead of the big 200 bash, toasty and nappies!

Top Bottom