Is steel real

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solecyclist

Ive been noticing that quite a few people are turning their backs on carbon fibre and Aluminium framed bikes and looking at Steel. Although not cheap and as much or if not more than a carbon. I see many people admire them for their silky ride quality. I been surfing the net and the Condor fratello gets heaps of praise as well as the kona roadhouse and Genesis Equilibrium. Im i missing something. Can anybody vouch for these claims. Im riding Aluminium at the present but ive had enough of road buzz. Carbon leaves me hurting. I was looking at Titanium but alot of people are turning to steel. Intresting. Especially for long days in the saddle.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
You need to ride what ever you buy, there is good and bad in all materials used to build frames. Not all types of bike suit all the people. What type of bike are you riding?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Have you checked your tire pressures? After years of sore hands and wrists on my aluminium commuter I reduced my front pressure from 75psi to 45psi. No more pain and no more buzz!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My two steel bikes are far more comfy than the alloy/carbon one - they 'zuzz' out the road imperfections better, still not as comfy as 2.3" tyres on 130mm of travel on a of full suspension MTB though !

CXRAndy

Guru
Of course it is;)

:biggrin:

Its all down to tyres and pressures .I have carbon, steel, titanium bikes . The nicest are the ones i have large tyres 28-40mm .

I have a new single speed Genesis Day One. Its a really nice bike, but its tyres are too commuter, so even with 35mm they need to be run lower pressure to get that large tyre comfy ride. Im just too tight to get a new set put on.

Last edited:
I've got a titanium and a steel bike both running 25mm tyres which are both comfy on a long ride. When I got a new aluminium bike a couple of years ago it came with 23mm tyres and was quite harsh, swapped them for 28mm's (run at about 85psi) and there's not much to choose between all three.

OP
OP
S

Solecyclist

You need to ride what ever you buy, there is good and bad in all materials used to build frames. Not all types of bike suit all the people. What type of bike are you riding?
Hi at the moment a canyon fitness bike

12boy

Guru
I prefer steel but tires run at a lower presssure, especially at the larger size that will fit the bike are more important. Carbon, stel or Ti bars, stems or seatposts make a difference, too. So does wheelbase. Lastly how much padding between your palm and the handlebar, and the position of your hand (or positions ) can be critical.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have no rust on my steel and is generally my go to bike, it’s on 25mm tyres at highish pressures (as I’m not the lightest) ...so it’s not optimal for comfort but it is my favourite bike to ride as long as it’s not too wet

I have a newish Ti bike too, I do need to ride it more but could do with a physio assessment and set up when I get round to it and am feeling better (joint wise)

Alu CX on 32mm tyres with discs is my crap weather / commuter

The Carbon...I can’t actually remember the last time I rode it :blush:

If I could only have one bike, I’d have a Genesis Eq disc (if I could get the right colour) or a steel disc braked bike from Condor in whatever colour I fancied! On 28mm tyres with full mudguards and a lightweight rack

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just got a steel Kona road bike at the end of last year. Loving it but have to say, the front end is a bit on the harsh side (not a concern to me but just be warned)…… it has a fat carbon fork :laugh:

http://2018.konaworld.com/wheelhouse.cfm

upload_2019-3-12_12-43-49.png

IMO it should have a steel fork to complement the frame.

As has already been said, tyre size/pressure is key. I had to go from 35mm to 32mm on the kona and it is really noticeable (same model of tyres)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You certainly are missing something. Steel has come back into fashion recently I think maybe due new processes but it's always been popular. Carbon has a rather dead feel to it in my opinion and certainly doesn't have the longevity of steel.
The Fratello is a great bike but there are several good budget alternatives to consider if you want steel. If you want to dip your toe in head over to the Vintage section where you can pick up some advice and see what people are spotting for sale at bargain prices.
Our friend @biggs682 always has a few on offer.

Top Bottom