Is steel real

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
My interest is audax, so long distance riding, with limited recovery time. I have a tarmac carbon bike and moved from 23mm to 25mm tyres, which was the best I could do. On a multi-day ride in 2017 I got nerve damage to my fingers and toes which took 4-5 months to resolve.

I've now bought a Genesis Equilibrium disc with 28mm tyres. They are very different. The Genesis feels as though it has less vibration, not just because of the wider tyres. It is well-planted, less twitchy, possibly because of less aggressive geometry. It feels good on the flat, with a flat portion on the bars, which helps hand position and comfort. It descends well and feels very stable. I've fitted guards as a permanent fixture.

The tarmac definitely climbs better though, and feels more exciting to ride.

It helps to remember that major purchases are always a compromise. For cars for instance you need to weigh up performance, room, cost, number of seats etc. You weigh them all up and get the best fit. Bikes are no different. Most of us wont get everything we want, and need to choose our compromises to suit our pocket and intended usage.

So you pay your money and make your choice as the saying goes.

mustang1

Guru
My steel bike is the most comfortable bike I have. I think it's a combination of slightly wider tyres (28mm at 100psi compared to 25mm at 100psi), the brand and model of tyres (both my bikes have the same), the geo is more relaxed than my cf model, and the frame is more compliant. I think the tyres and geo has most impact but the way the frame is built and the materials used has some impact on ride quality also.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anecdotal tale!

When i was looking at buying my steel Kona as a replacement for the previous cracked Ali bike a colleague at work warned me that there is no such thing as the last forever frame I was in search of. His last steel commuter bike had died when the bottom bracket rotted out! His opinion is that you just have to accept that a bike used for all weather commuting will have a limited life expectency.
My Kona has been injected with old car engine oil to help prevent this and will be redone every year or two.

iandg

Legendary Member
Longevity? Still riding the steel frame that I raced on between 1978 and 1981.

Last edited:
I buy bikes to ride them, come hell or high water, not to look at, put on a ‘Turbo’ or bring out on the one day a year the weather isn’t gash, in the U.K. I seriously doubt a steel bike would last as long as my Carbon bikes have, especially given that time constraints often mean that I’ve ridden for so many hours, in such gritty conditions, that I often don’t have much choice but to just shove a grit covered / road treatment soaked bike, straight in the shed, and not even think about being able to clean it properly for a couple of days.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I buy bikes to ride them, come hell or high water, not to look at, put on a ‘Turbo’ or bring out on the one day a year the weather isn’t gash, in the U.K. I seriously doubt a steel bike would last as long as my Carbon bikes have, especially given that time constraints often mean that I’ve ridden for so many hours, in such gritty conditions, that I often don’t have much choice but to just shove a grit covered / road treatment soaked bike, straight in the shed, and not even think about being able to clean it properly for a couple of days.
Even a cursory glance at the number of steel framed bikes for sale on Ebay should show you how well steel frames bikes last. Bikes that have been ridden on a daily basis, through all kinds of weather. But they have been looked after. Its the ones that haven't been looked after that rust.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
IMG_20180918_110713.jpg
My Genesis Croix de Fer is steel. A super bike for 250km plus days or just knocking about the neighbourhood.

Top Bottom