Is steel real

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a big fan of steel but in my opinion, having owned, or currently own both old steel frames and a new steel frame (Equilibrium 725), I'd have to argue that there's a lot less difference between a modern, large tubed, steel bike and a modern aluminium bike than I'd care to admit. I went from a Genesis Volant to a 725 Equilibrium, and any differences in comfort I would probably attribute to the (very slightly) slacker geometry and longer wheelbase.
Old steelies with skinny tubes are a different matter entirely. Even the raciest geometry frames have a silky smoothness to them. It's hard to put your finger on it, but they manage to dampen road vibration while still making you feel connected. Older steel bikes with more relaxed tubing like touring bikes are like riding armchairs, while a good town bike has levels of comfort only found on a full-sus MTB!

Edit: I'm not dissing the Equi btw, I'm saying comfy ally bikes can be made!

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think that any bicycle is subject to its' material and the artistry used to make it. Some aluminum bicycle like Cannondales are made to ride as comfortably as a steel bike, and some steel bikes are as light and comfortable as can be. But many bicycles fall in between, with varying results. I have seen steel bicycles like the Schwinn World Sport and the Miyata Ninety made cheaply, yet the ride is great because of the choices made in tubing and construction. I think this is also what makes some great bicycles even greater.

12boy

Guru
My 70s and 80s bikes have long wheel bases and relatively low trail, being a Witcomb Superlight and a Holdsworth Special. They don't seem all that fast but the miles just melt away. All my bikes are comfortable, but those two are the plushest, if that word can be used for a bike. My Brompton is also the most plush of my small wheel bikes and its wheel base is longer than my Surly Steamroller. Given a choice, I will always prefer a steel bike.

bladderhead

I used to have a vintage Claud Butler, a real one, made before the company was bought out. Double butted 531. Comfortable and quick. I lost it to thieves. Boohoo. But plush? You do not know anything about plush until you ride my Grasshopper recumbent. People who ride diamond-frames should not talk about riding armchairs.

Top Bottom