Is the Coronacycling boom coming to an end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've seen £2,000 - £4,000 e-assist bikes being sold out. Two local bike shops had no complete bikes in stock in June/July.

Not exactly low end bikes.

Spoke to my friend who works in my LBS yesterday. they can't get enough hybrid and electric bikes. As soon as they are delivered, they are sold. All they have available are high end road bikes.
Also electric scooters. They are also selling out each batch they get.

If only 1 in 20 keep it up it’s better than none at all. The more people cycle the better it is. My father In Law was a 40 a day smoker from 15 years old, but stopped the moment his daughter was pregnant and never smoked again. He wouldn’t be seen dead on a bike but 3/4 years ago he got a second Hand electric bike and really enjoyed it. Then last year through a friend he picked up an ex demo electric bike and he goes everywhere on it. Loves it. But without an E-bike he would never be able to do the distances he does. A real convert now and his whole view point of cycling and perception of cyclists has changed. He hated them, hated them on the road and chain gangs. Now he takes his grandson out and has a whole different viewpoint of road safety, and the development of safe places to cycle especially with children.
Great to see and hopefully be more like him in that 1 in 20

I have read and heard about the long delays to parts and new bikes. Earlier in the year I started browsing for a new road bike, but couldn't find anything in my size so put it off a while. The situation hasn't improved since and won't this year so I bit the bullet have just ordered a new Trek Domane AL 5. I'm told to expect to wait until next August for delivery! It's so far away, I wish I'd commited back in June. I only feel faint traces of excitement about my order, something to look forward to at least! The retail assistant explained the long delay was due to a combination of pressure on supply chains that had fallen behind and can't keep up with exceptional demand. I wonder how much this has to do with a just one or two components being competed over by various brands or if it's more widespread and replicated across all parts of the manufacturing process.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you've already got a bike of some description, why the need to rush to buy a new one in a market with high pricing and low stock availability? Doing so defies logic. If you had no bike at all and absolutely needed one to get to work on every day, there might be some rational explanation to buying now, but not otherwise.
So you order now and if lucky receive your 2021 model in August 2021, when about a month later you would expect the 2022 models to appear. And for the privilege of owning a "new" model for about a month before it becomes last year's model, you are presumably paying full price and money up front. Hmmm, some strange logic going on here.....

If you've already got a bike of some description, why the need to rush to buy a new one in a market with high pricing and low stock availability? Doing so defies logic. If you had no bike at all and absolutely needed one to get to work on every day, there might be some rational explanation to buying now, but not otherwise.
So you order now and if lucky receive your 2021 model in August 2021, when about a month later you would expect the 2022 models to appear. And for the privilege of owning a "new" model for about a month before it becomes last year's model, you are presumably paying full price and money up front. Hmmm, some strange logic going on here.....
Blah blah blah... everyone stop buying, don't buy any bikes, you are all illogical morons for doing so 🙄
Why is everyone an idiot if they spend money, buy modern frames, design modern frames or just generally dont conform to your views or choices in bike ?

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Blah blah blah... everyone stop buying, don't buy any bikes, you are all illogical morons for doing so 🙄
Why is everyone an idiot if they spend money, buy modern frames, design modern frames or just generally dont conform to your views or choices in bike ?
Well don't hold back tell us what you really think. Although I'm not totally in the old bikes good new bikes bad camp, skippy makes a good point , unless you're desperate for a new bike sit back and let the market settle/ stabilise . Then you can freely visit a number of shops to test and confirm you are making the right choice.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am with Tripster on this, money is for spending. So often on here we are bombarded by people being told they have less sense than money when spending a few quid.

Or people are not always making decisions purely on logic.

Sometimes people really want something sooner rather than later and the extra money isn't an issue.

Life isn't all about saving money.

Logic is overrated.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Well don't hold back tell us what you really think. Although I'm not totally in the old bikes good new bikes bad camp, skippy makes a good point , unless you're desperate for a new bike sit back and let the market settle/ stabilise . Then you can freely visit a number of shops to test and confirm you are making the right choice.

I think some people must be suffering with too much lockdown boredom, and they are running out of things to keep them occupied.
How else do you explain the phenomenon of Faith Based Retail?. Buy a product untried and untested now, pay for it up front, and hope that in nine months time it will actually turn out to be what you wanted. What happens if it fails to live up to expectations, or worse still doesn't even fit very well? Live with it and try to kid yourself? Move it on at a big loss and repeat?

classic33

Leg End Member
I think some people must be suffering with too much lockdown boredom, and they are running out of things to keep them occupied.
How else do you explain the phenomenon of Faith Based Retail?. Buy a product untried and untested now, pay for it up front, and hope that in nine months time it will actually turn out to be what you wanted. What happens if it fails to live up to expectations, or worse still doesn't even fit very well? Live with it and try to kid yourself? Move it on at a big loss and repeat?
A load of folk buy online these days, without ever having seen the goods beforehand. Why should buying a bike be any different?

screenman

Legendary Member

Again it is just about the money with you, I sometimes just take a punt to see if I like something, if I do I have won if I do not then I have lost, but at least I know which one it was.

Top Bottom